K-3 and packet 3

Hey guys,

I guess the forms that are usually in P3 and P4 for a K-1 case are all combined in the P3 for a K-3 case. However, in the case of a K-3, what forms need to be sent to the consulate after receiving the P-3 (besides the OF-169 and DS-230). Does my SO need to return the DS-156 and 157 as well?

Thanks for your replies and time guys.

Everything else in the package is needed for the Interview. I can't remember exactly what the 156 and 157 are, but when the time comes for your wife to do the medical exam the staff at the clinic know exactly what is needed and will make sure it all is in the sealed package for the Consulate.

You can also check the FAQ's section for exactly what is needed at interview time.

Good Luck :blink:

Cool deal, thanks. The 156 and 157 are non-immigrant visa application forms (157 is supplemental to 156 I guess) - the DS-230 is an immigrant visa application. This always confused me because K-3 (and K-1) fall under the non-immigrant visa category (so I'd think they would want 156 and 157, not 230) - CR1/IR1 would be immigrant visa. Yet it seems to be the DS-230 they want returned.

Edited by xtal (see edit history)

I have heard the K visa's refered to as "Quasi Immigrant" visa's because there intent is to immigrate, but I agree it is like someone planned to make this as confussing as possible :blink:

Cool deal, thanks. The 156 and 157 are non-immigrant visa application forms (157 is supplemental to 156 I guess) - the DS-230 is an immigrant visa application. This always confused me because K-3 (and K-1) fall under the non-immigrant visa category (so I'd think they would want 156 and 157, not 230) - CR1/IR1 would be immigrant visa. Yet it seems to be the DS-230 they want returned.

160144[/snapback]

We should all be careful with our logic of diphering the INS and DOS.. we might just figure them out and that would be scary.... :blink:

It seems to me that the DS-230 is the visa 'application', just as the I-129F was the 'petition' for K1 and K3... so it makes sense that they want that back.

The K1 carries this 'intent' as Gene says... but is only a single entry visa;

The K3 is a 2 year , multi-entry visa so really closer to a CR1 in the visa sense...