how long until i have to

I think it is kinda like if you stop to have a beer on the way home one to two beers and get home about seven your considered "Out of Status" ...Not really in trouble but close..........close the bar and get home at 3:00 AM..... :unsure:

I always wondered.... technically, what does "out of status" mean? is an "out of status"-status illegal? or just bad? ;)

Out of status simply means they no longer have any legal status in this country. Thus they are technically ilegal aliens. Depending on the situation it can be a very bad thing. Filing AOS is a bit of a gray area. If you don't marry within 90 days of arrival your wife has no legal status to file on. If you married within that window and just didn't file AOS in that timeframe then they usually shrug it off. In a different scenario if you neglect to file for the removal of conditions within 90 days prior to the expiration of your SO's conditional green card then the petition is considered abandoned and he or she could be deported.

It is best not to tempt fate and just file within 90 days.

Edited by warpedbored (see edit history)
I always wondered.... technically, what does "out of status" mean? is an "out of status"-status illegal? or just bad? :lol:

Out of status simply means they no longer have any legal status in this country. Thus they are technically ilegal aliens. Depending on the situation it can be a very bad thing. Filing AOS is a bit of a gray area. If you don't marry within 90 days of arrival your wife has no legal status to file on. If you married within that window and just didn't file AOS in that timeframe then they usually shrug it off. In a different scenario if you neglect to file for the removal of conditions within 90 days prior to the expiration of your SO's conditional green card then the petition is considered abandoned and he or she could be deported.

It is best not to tempt fate and just file within 90 days.

161465[/snapback]

thanks carl.