Notarized Documents in GZ

DO NOT Rely on getting the Notarized Documents back from GZ, if you only have one copy of critical documents get your SO packing for the Notary office so you aren't caught without them.

When we went to the hospital to have the packet assembled for he interview things got a bit touchy when I watched the lady assembling the documents open Min's birth record and RIP the first two pages out.

Apparently this is due to the instructions of the consulate so that everything will fit in their envelope...

I stopped her from destroying any more papers and fortunately there was a USC there who was fluent in Chinese. She ended up bundling all the papers separately and only placing the medical record in the sealed envelope.

Before the Interview I hand wrote a note to the VO asking that they accept copies of the Notarized documents and that they also certify a photo copy of the birth record as their agent at the hospital had destroyed an ORIGINAL Document.

As you can guess they ignored my request and when my SO returned from the interview she had with her the remains of all the Original Documents along with the copies.

I went over to the ACS at the Consulate and questioned why the VO had DESTROYED Original Documents and requested that they locate my SO's file and Certify at NO CHARGE the copies of the originals. I was of course informed that the Consulate had no control over the VO's and I then asked if they had any control over violating USCIS policy by a VO under their roof? :P

The main objective was to send me down the road and I then asked if possibly Mr. Martin (chief consul) might have 5 minutes to discuss this matter and was told to wait. About 30 minutes later I was passed off to another person who basically told me the same thing and that if I had any issue with the VO I should go to the Friday afternoon cattle call. :P He handed me the paper that stated they would not address specific case issues at this meeting and those should be handled via email and I pointed that out to him. :P

He was then ready to dismiss me and I ask how I would file a formal complaint. This guy just didn't like me for some reason as he shoved the paper through the window. :lol: :lol:

I will follow up with DOS and involve my congressman, perhaps the Immigration Unit will make themselves more available to USC's in the future and we can get some accountability out of GZ. Who knows, but one letter can't hurt.

The ripping of the Birth certificate was just to streamline paperwork, I suppose. We just brought photocopies of all those little chinese packets, (birth, police and marriage) to the medical just for that reason. (we saw the staff doing it the day we went for the medical, made the copies before we went to pick it up 2 days later)

Did you only have one birth certificate made? When we did it, the notary gave us about 15 copies.

The ripping of the Birth certificate was just to streamline paperwork, I suppose. We just brought photocopies of all those little chinese packets, (birth, police and marriage) to the medical just for that reason. (we saw the staff doing it the day we went for the medical, made the copies before we went to pick it up 2 days later)

Did you only have one birth certificate made? When we did it, the notary gave us about 15 copies.

158722[/snapback]

The same thing happened to us the day before it happened to Lee, at the same hospital. Fortunately, we have another set of the notarized documents back home, locked up in my desk at work. So I wasn't too worried about it since I knew we had the second set. Just the same, they ought to either use bigger size envelopes to put the stuff in, or whatever they need to do so they avoid this stupid procedure of tearing up all the documents.

Lee - I guess you made it back home safely. We are going back on Saturday so our time here is winding down.

Fred

Edited by fdeitz (see edit history)

Whether they tear them apart on not isn't the problem. You don't get them back anyway.

It has been brought up many times to get three of four originals so that when you have to "waste" one your not without.

After you are here USCIS accepts copies so that should not be a problem.

The hospital was the Guangzhou Medical School, I believe that is the name. Not the one on the island.

I tried to give copies, but they weren't going to take anything but the originals.

We have 2 extra of everything, but then I like to have lot's of backups.

Besides, I don't mind causing GZ a bit of grief on this issue. They have their own set of rules and who knows perhaps we can help to civilize them. :P