My SO has her interview at GUZ on October 27. Her 16 year old daughter would like to finish her school year before leaving China. We are trying to figure out how to orchestrate that in a way that does not require the daughter to make a separate trip to GUZ for visa approval. I wonder if we can request, before the interview, that the daughter be granted an extension to that she can finish her school year. I am curious about how others have dealt with bringing step children to the US particularly regarding end of school year issues and the 6 month window of opportunity.

I haven't heard of anyone trying for an extension, so you might be blazing a new trail there.

My new son came in the middle of a school year and he just started right in without a problem, American schools are way behind Chinas so there was no worry about catching up.

Take a read from: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...ndpost&p=155619

I would recommend getting in touch with Vincent on this. As a general rule, if the K-2 child interviews with the parent and gets the visa, he/she has 6 months to use it or lose it. If the child does not interview at the same time, he/she can interview up to a year later and get the visa. Vincent's post suggests there may be a third option.