What we learned at GZ

Shortly after that GZ changed to an Excel based data processing system.  He then had them do a search for all other immigrant and K-3 visas applications that did not have a name check clearance and had a list of those compiled.  The FBI data system is ORACLE based, so he asked the FBI to specify exactly how the data needed to be compiled for their system and had GZ personnel recompile the data from the Excel system into a format acceptable to the FBI and put it on a computer disk.  That disk was sent directly to the FBI on January 10th.  Unfortunately, the FBI did not begin to process that data until last week.  He said that it is now normally taking the FBI 10 days to clear a name, so he still hopes that a large number of names will arrive while they have personnel diverted from their regular duties.  

What we have here is an user interface problem.

Mick: Take care of your pain.

Surely they were jesting if they even suggested that they might be using an "Excel Based Data Processing System"

I am sorry, but Excel doesn't even remotely resemble a data processing system. Were they regularly sending data back and forth between offices on floppy disks? Or even CDs? If half of this is true, the problems at GZ are far worse that I could have imagined.

What is so wrong with Excel?

1) It is very much tied to a SINGLE USER SYSTEM. Only ONE person can update any file at a time.

2) Writing any kind of "useful" reports are inherently difficult

3) Consistency checking of data is almost non-existent

4) It is difficult to print out just the pertinent data

MS Access would be the MINIMAL system that an office like GZ should be using, and they probably should be using some kind of SQL system (or the same Oracle system that they admit other offices they interface with use).

What does a Database give that Excel doesn't?

Any half decent Database is inherently multi-user. More than one person can update records at a time as long as they aren't updating the exact same record. I.E. They can have 10 people reading the incoming mail and doing the data entry without splitting and merging files. Or, multiple people could do different things with the same files.

A single record can be dealt with at a time. Thus, it is less likely that data entry would skip a line and be done on the wrong person.

It can be linked so that remote offices can share the same data (thus allowing case loads to be shared between branch offices).

It is trivial to write reports to search for things like "no response from P3", or Over 30 days and Over 60 days from start of process.

One can write an algorithm to always bring the cases that need to be processed up to the top of the list. For example, bring those cases that have been at GZ longest AND have the namecheck complete.

Flag those cases that have had namechecks sent out over 3 weeks earlier with no response.

FORCE UNIQUE ENTRIES SO NO DUPLICATES ARE ENTERED. The problem with duplicates is that one could easily generate two half-files rather than a single whole one.

If multiple sheets (tables) are used, make sure there is data consistency between the tables.

Allow for certain types of information to grow while other types are fixed. For example, they could tie a "contacted GZ" table with the main table so that one could associate each person's file with the personal contacts made to that individual (every daily e-mail that some people send).

If a person has 2 different GZ numbers, they would be kept together (along with any related records such as those for children). Any search for one would bring them all up.

THE DATABASE CAN BE CONFIGURED TO KEEP CHANGE HISTORY, AS WELL AS WHO MADE THE CHANGES.

-------------------

Anyway, if they are actually doing significant data tracking in Excel…… Well, God Help Us!!!!!!!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard as it may seem to believe, they were in fact sending info back and forth on floppy. GZ would make a floppy, send it to the FBI where it might lay around on someone's desk for a couple of weeks before work began. As Dave Barry would say, "I'm not making this up". This is exactly how the procedure was being done back in those days.

BTW: Who dug up this thread and moved it up here? :)

Sure brings back memories.

And sorry to say Cliff, as of Feb. 10 this year GZ was indeed using Excel. The computer system there is not very sophisticated. During our meeting with RA, his monitor kept going blank. He would have to get behind it a jiggle the connection to make it come back on. And this is in the office of one of the higher ups. Maybe they have upgraded since then. :( :)

Mick,

Don't blame it on me, finding this old thread. JerryL dug it up.

I was going to post my reply into a new thread, and accidentally posted it into the reply of this one.

Yes, I have a monitor around here somewhere with a short somewhere in the cable. I just taped the wire to the side of the computer and the problem all but disappeared.

Anyway, I am not impressed with your descriptions of their Information Technology in use. :)

------ Clifford -----

Mick,

Don't blame it on me, finding this old thread.  JerryL dug it up.

I was going to post my reply into a new thread, and accidentally posted it into the reply of this one.

Yes, I have a monitor around here somewhere with a short somewhere in the cable.  I just taped the wire to the side of the computer and the problem all but disappeared.

Anyway, I am not impressed with your descriptions of their Information Technology in use. ;)

------ Clifford -----

Actually, I am glad you and Jerry L. brought this forward. Like I said, it sure brought back some memories of those days. The trip to GZ was an interesting one to say the least. One thing I didn't mention was that it was during that weekend before our Monday meeting, that the first news of SARS broke in GZ. Long lines everywhere at drug shops with folks buying up antibiotics and traditional remedies. It was without a doubt an interesting trip. Good thing was, in addition to the meeting, getting to spend time with the Candle group there. Also, Owen and his wife took the bus back to Shantou with us and stayed at our place for several days. It was a blast really.

Don't know if any of the info in this thread is helpful, but perhaps it does give some insight into how screwed up things were back in the Black Hole days. Good luck to all who are now stuck in the pit!