SSN Card question

I'd like to take my SO to the local SSA office nearby today and apply for her SSN, do I need a stamped EAD to do this. I looked at my SO's Passport and all she has is a I-94 stapled to inside of it.

Would this along with her translated birth certificate suffice?

Any prompt response would be appreciated.

Eric

Since she is K-1 she can get a SSN. It will probably say not valid to work without authorisation or some such but she can get one. Take a certified copy of your marriage license along if you want to change her name. You will need her passport with visa and I-94 inside and it would be a good idea to take some mail that has been delievered to your home in her name. Many people at the SSA office are not up to speed on K-1 vsa regulations and try to tell you you can't get a SSN without EAD. This is false. Just go to another SSA office where hopefully they are better informed.

Actually the K1 visa does authorize her to work but only for like 75 days. Run don't walk to the nearest SSA office as the K1 is only good for 90 days after she gets to the US and after around 75 days they will not give her a SSN. If you don't like what SSA tells you--go to a different office-it has worked for several!

My own view is that the incompetence at SSA is hard to beat.  I would recommend arming yourself with the guidance related to K-1 visa holders and Social Security cards:  http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10720

156407[/snapback]

You may want to print out the references Frank gives and take them with you. The SSA is as bad as he indicates-maybe worse. It took me 11 months to get my wifes SSN because someone screwed up, lost the application and then would not let me reapply because " It isn't lost, we just don't know where it is" It took my congressman and finding out that I used to coach with her boss to get it straightened out--and ultimately get her terminated.

Good luck!

Actually the K1 visa does authorize her to work but only for like 75 days. Run don't walk to the nearest SSA office as the K1 is only good for 90 days after she gets to the US and after around 75 days they will not give her a SSN. If you don't like what SSA tells you--go to a different office-it has worked for several!

156402[/snapback]

Thanks for the advice. Thats exactly what just happened to me and my SO, the woman working at the SSA informed us that without an EAD card or stamp, my SO was unable to apply for the SS card. When I questioned her and another employee there, she gave me some canned response that the computer drop down menu asked for second form of documentation, which was an EAD.

However, when I informed her the K-1 acts as temporary EAD, she got a bit angry and gave me "I just told you that you need an EAD", then handed me some DHS phone numbers.

Typical Government mentality, lazy, uninformed, and can't think outside of the box or use common sense. :angry:

Edited by riki37421 (see edit history)
Since she is K-1 she can get a SSN.  It will probably say not valid to work without authorisation or some such but she can get one.  Take a certified copy of your marriage license along if you want to change her name.  You will need her passport with visa and I-94 inside and it would be a good idea to take some mail that has been delievered to your home in her name.  Many people at the SSA office are not up to speed on K-1 vsa regulations and try to tell you you can't get a SSN without EAD.  This is false.  Just go to another SSA office where hopefully they are better informed.

156393[/snapback]

Ditto what Carl said. And indeed answers from SSA office vary from one office to another.

SSA also told us Juxin needed EAD before getting SSN. Wrong. We went to another SSA office and got the answer we wanted to hear :P

Checkout our timeline to see the steps we took.

My own view is that the incompetence at SSA is hard to beat.  I would recommend arming yourself with the guidance related to K-1 visa holders and Social Security cards:  http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10720

156407[/snapback]

You may want to print out the references Frank gives and take them with you. The SSA is as bad as he indicates-maybe worse. It took me 11 months to get my wifes SSN because someone screwed up, lost the application and then would not let me reapply because " It isn't lost, we just don't know where it is" It took my congressman and finding out that I used to coach with her boss to get it straightened out--and ultimately get her terminated.

Good luck!

156410[/snapback]

Thaks Trigg and Frank, plan on going armed to a different SSA office Monday with printouts of SSA policies from those links you posted.

We shall not be denied! :rolleyes:

Regards,

Eric