AOS -- filing

Hi,

We're pretty much done assembling our AOS material, and the expiration date (9/29/05) for my wife's K1 visa is fast approaching. I thought that AOS / EAD would involve a lot less headache compared to the k1 visa, but unfortunately my assumption was wrong. Should have done some reading on AOS before .

Anyway, we are close to sending it out via FEDEX, but have a few questions:

1) The secretary in Civil Surgeon's office stuffed the I693 medical report and I693 Vaccination Supplement into a sealed envelope, but she didn't give my wife a copy of it and I don't know why. I wanted a copy of it for our records, so is it ok to open the sealed envelope and make a photo copy of it?

2) The I864 "Affadavit of Support" instructions doesn't mention anything about a letter confirming my employment, so is it correct to assume its not required? I don't want to bother my manager again regarding writing another letter on my behalf if I really don't have to. I am including around 5 - 6 weeks recent computer generated pay stubs.

3) Does the Marriage Certificate need to be an original or will a photocopy of it suffice?

Thanks in advance....

NO-DO NOT OPEN THE ENVELOPE. The civil surgeon will give you a copy--he has to by law.

I did not send a letter of employment?????

I sent a photo copy but brought an original to the interview just in case.

After you finish with the paperwork you will find that it isn't that bad. It talks about doing an I-130--DON't

NO-DO NOT OPEN THE ENVELOPE. The civil surgeon will give you a copy--he has to by law.

After you finish with the paperwork you will find that it isn't that bad. It talks about doing an I-130--DON't

156160[/snapback]

Thanks Trigg,

I was about to get the scissors tonight to open it up. Glad I asked before. Well, I asked the secretary again today if we could get a copy of it, but her response was that the government will mail us a copy of the original I693 and I693 Supplemental form.

Guess will have to bring the sealed envelope to the Civil Surgeon's office and have them open it and provide us with a copy of it because they claim they don't have a copy of it now.

156160[/snapback]

Thanks Trigg,

I was about to get the scissors tonight to open it up. Glad I asked before. Well, I asked the secretary again today if we could get a copy of it, but her response was that the government will mail us a copy of the original I693 and I693 Supplemental form.

Guess will have to bring the sealed envelope to the Civil Surgeon's office and have them open it and provide us with a copy of it because they claim they don't have a copy of it now.

156169[/snapback]

Thats funny!! They may not have a copy of the excact thing but they indeed have records of all the shots and the results. They are bound by law to share your med records with you with the exception of 'certain psychiatric' items. I think it is the 1975 Buckley amendment--not 100% sure

1. DO NOT BREAK THE SEAL.

2. The instructions to the I-864 require all sponsors have to provide proof of employment - either with a letter from the employer OR pay stubbs:

"Evidence of current employment or self-employment,

such as a recent pay statement, or a statement from your

employer on business stationery, showing beginning

date of employment, type of work performed, and salary

or wages paid."

3. Copies are okay.

You might want to print out the Technical Instructions to Civil Surgeons for Vaccination Requirements paying close attention to the last paragraph on page 2 when you go back. The CDC even put the sentence in bold type. :P

Perhaps we could get this document listed in the links and resources section as the Civil Surgeon's don't seem to know how to read, just like the SSA and a few other places. :angry:

Thanks everyone for advice.

Since the Civil Surgeon we went to is in the next town over, we will return to Civil Surgeon's office tommorow and request them to just make us a copy of sealed envelope.

Then that should be the final piece of the AOS /EAD package for us.

Thanks for the help