The beauty thing and Chinese women

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting...

my other half is 33 (same age as me). She's lived in Shanghai for probably 15 years or so. Doesn't know how to put on makeup, no razor has been even remotely close to her ever. I like her this way and don't want her to change. I'll admit she's not the most beautiful girl walking around in China but I love her and wouldn't trade her for anyone else. And when she kisses me it's like fire. Another 4 months or so of waiting :sigh:

Yes, there's the cultural fascination with pasty white youth, to look like a delicate, tiny porcelain doll.

Interesting...

no razor has been even remotely close to her ever.

162210[/snapback]

I'd bet that razor touched her head when she was a baby, to grow her locks in nice and full. This is a Chinese tradition that is still practiced here it the States by many Chinese. :D

162373[/snapback]

Right. I have had this done to my baby. And had 4 good size calligraphy brushes made with her baby hair.

Edited by Joanne (see edit history)
I'd bet that razor touched her head when she was a baby, to grow her locks in nice and full.  This is a Chinese tradition that is still practiced here it the States by many Chinese. :D

I just asked her and her mother did do that.

Does that actually make hair come in thicker?

She said:

yes, and grind the ginger, then paste the sause of ginger into the babies's head

I think there is a sometimes subtle difference between Chinese women and American women regarding attitudes about "beauty". It's my observation that the "beauty" you talk about, as held more important by Chinese women, (and it is, I believe), has more to do with the high value of aesthetics, than ego. As such, egos are not as easily offended. For aesthetics has a kind of neutrality - it just "is" - albeit often personal and subjective.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Subtle point. Accurate, I think.

Rupert

For the record I have seen my wife in make up once and that was when we went out for dinner in Vegas after being married. She does try to keep out of the sun so she will not look like a country girl. Walking down the street she will weave along staying in the shadows.

Important----when they get here tell them what is not nice to say to other people.