Police records grief

here's what she is going to fax the US embassy:

I contacted the police authorities of Shanghai and they informed me that starting Aug, 2005, they will no longer issue Police Record certificates to any non permanent residents of Shanghai.

I have lived in Shanghai as a non permanent resident since Sep, 1991.  I initially attended college there and have continued to work in Shanghai.

I was hoping you would have some suggestion about how to handle this situation.

This seemed to be an endless debate a few months back when we were collecting those documents.

You only need records from her place of hukou. If she committed a crime in Shanghai, it would get reported back there.

The only authority I have to say this is that my SO got the records from her hukou and that was enough for a visa.

If you want a more experienced opinion than us one-time visa guys, talk to the notary where she will eventually get them translated. They should tell you all you need to know.

Rule of thumb is the police cert comes from the houkou. Doesn't matter where you actually live.

153532[/snapback]

Would the houkou be informed if a crime was commited? I'm wondering how that works.

153538[/snapback]

Let's just say it is supposed to. China is a one size fits all and the houkou is the place.

153541[/snapback]

I did notice that Ying's ID card number includes the postcode of her houkou

I believe it's in the city where she got her China ID card. It might not be where you were born since your family can move to another location to live. When you first registered for the ID card (teenager) that is the place where you are suppose to get the police record. Similiar to might not be where you were born is when you move to another city later in life (to study or work). Very few people will change their China ID card to their new location and just use the one they have now. This is why she is not registered in Shanghai as a perm. You have to go back to where her ID card was issued.

It is the city where your SO's hukou is.

And, yes, they would have a record of any crimes they had committed anywhere in China b/c every Chinese person's full permanent record (Dang'an) is located at their hukou. If they committed a crime somewhere outside of their hukou, as far as I know it would get put into their permanent record in their hukou.