SSN, K-1, marriage

The big objective for the K-1 is to get the SSN, it just makes things easier all around based on the other things you will want and need to do.

Our plan is to apply for the SSN 14 days after entry to the US and hope she is in the computer and keep coming back until she is listed.

Then after we receive the Certified Marriage certificate, which will be about a month later, we will vist the office again to do a name change, but the original battle to get the SSN will be over and a name change is a very common practice with Social Security.

I only desire for us to have the SSN issue completely resolved long before we are near the 70 day mark and BEFORE we submit AOS.

shortly after returning from our honeymoon my wife went to apply for her SSN. so this was after marriage, and after the name change. i believe everything went fine, and will be ok...

except... i have a question of my own... can a SSN expire?

since my wife cannot yet drive, i asked my mom to take her to our ssn office during the day. thus, i wasn't there (BIG mistake) .... as a result, both my mom and my wife have different stories about what happened and what was the end result.

my mom says that she will get her SSN but it will "expire" on the same date as the K-1 validity, 90 days after entry. is this right?

but after talking to my mom and wife for a while, i found out that the ssn agent didn't know we were already married until half-way through their discussion.

my wife seems to think things will be ok, i.e. ssn will NOT expire and it will have the her married name. but my mom insisted that it will expire.

can anyone shed any light on this matter?

thanks.

ryan

shortly after returning from our honeymoon my wife went to apply for her SSN. so this was after marriage, and after the name change. i believe everything went fine, and will be ok...

since my wife cannot yet drive, i asked my mom to take her to our ssn office during the day. thus, i wasn't there (BIG mistake) .... as a result, both my mom and my wife have different stories about what happened and what was the end result.

my mom says that she will get her SSN but it will "expire" on the same date as the K-1 validity, 90 days after entry. is this right?

but after talking to my mom and wife for a while, i found out that the ssn agent didn't know we were already married until half-way through their discussion.

my wife seems to think things will be ok, i.e. ssn will NOT expire and it will have the her married name. but my mom insisted that it will expire.

thanks.

ryan

153497[/snapback]

Ryan, the EAD for K-1 will expire 90 days from entry. An SSN is issued for one person for life.

As you found we all need to be careful about delegating some of the processes to others asthey are not familiar with the issues involved in dealing with government agencies from the immigration side.

Your wife is correct and you should tell her you are proud that she understood the process so well, then appologize for not being with her for this process...

Now do we get a detailed report about the honeymoon? :angry:

thanks.

ryan

153497[/snapback]

Ryan, the EAD for K-1 will expire 90 days from entry. An SSN is issued for one person for life.

As you found we all need to be careful about delegating some of the processes to others asthey are not familiar with the issues involved in dealing with government agencies from the immigration side.

Your wife is correct and you should tell her you are proud that she understood the process so well, then appologize for not being with her for this process...

Now do we get a detailed report about the honeymoon? :lol:

153504[/snapback]

yeah... i knew my babe would get it right!! ... and.... my mom is great, but it's the last time i ask her to help with immigration stuff!

the honeymoon you ask? .... :D :stupid:

well, it was great. i had never been to san fran before. i really enjoyed it, BUT the beginning of our trip i was on business. :lol: i had a technical conference to attend, and somehow i forgot about it when planning our wedding. :yahoo: :blink: ... not the most romantic thing to do, but we made the best of it. she's a real gem, didn't complain once about having to wait for me while i was away at the conference. overall, it was a wonderful time ... it's just so amazing having her here everyday, all the time. :toot: