Does anyone know the best way to buy domestic airplane tickets in China? We need to fly from either Changzhou or Shanghai to Guangzhou for the interview, and we'd like to do it as cheaply as possible.

Also, what are most people doing regarding transportation back to the U.S.? Buying the tickets in advance or waiting until the interview is passed? What rates and availablility could I expect for two one-ways?

And my last question(s) -- after a successful interview, how long is it taking to get the visa? Do you pick up the visa in Guangzhou or do they mail it to you?

Sorry for all the questions! What with getting a new job, moving to a new city, getting a new apartment, and getting an interview date all in the last few weeks, I have had a lot going on ...

I was shocked and surprised to fine the best price on Domestic flights from Expedia.com for my upcoming trip, the price was much better than I could find elsewhere and they shipped me the paper tickets very quickly.

I'm not sure if we couldn't have bought the tickets cheaper in China, but then I wouldn't have been able to easily put them on a credit card. :P

Does anyone know the best way to buy domestic airplane tickets in China? We need to fly from either Changzhou or Shanghai to Guangzhou for the interview, and we'd like to do it as cheaply as possible.

Also, what are most people doing regarding transportation back to the U.S.? Buying the tickets in advance or waiting until the interview is passed? What rates and availablility could I expect for two one-ways?

And my last question(s) -- after a successful interview, how long is it taking to get the visa? Do you pick up the visa in Guangzhou or do they mail it to you?

Sorry for all the questions! What with getting a new job, moving to a new city, getting a new apartment, and getting an interview date all in the last few weeks, I have had a lot going on ...

153112[/snapback]

JamesnYuHong,

IMHO, I have tried several outside agencies in China. The very best rates I have found are within China domestic boundaries with travel agents. I made a posting a while back about a particular travel agent that I use. She's in Chengdu. However, I believe that she belongs to a agency that has several offices throughout China. The actual business card is maintained in my photo album under Cerberus This is the hyperlink: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?..._album&album=65. It is labeled, Business Card for Sichuan Travel Agency. Have the better half call her first and she can probably direct her to an appropriate agency near her.

I also made another posting in regard to trip deals in domestic China. It is a bit long, but contains several paragraphs answering your question that you pose immediately . Try this hyperlink, http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12460.

My final advice is to have your better half approach a particular travel agent, establish rapport with her. Have your SO book the tickets for you. My wife Yin, has a International Visa Debit/Credit card and my PIN which I provided to her, that she uses.

Using this method;

1) She is able to order tickets from the agent and pay from the account directly by Visa Card.

2) Your SO might be able to get a discount by paying cold hard cash “on the barrelhead.“ Using a card like this, have her get idea of what tickets will cost. Then have her go to ATM at any Bank of China, withdraw cash (will come out automatically in RMB at the highest bank rate possible. Also, using ATM she will not have to go to window, ask a clerk for money, since usually her name can‘t be on the account until she‘s in US) Finally, approach travel agent and ask for a cash discount. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn‘t work. Depends on how “hard-nosed” the agent is. However, most of our Chinese wives are more hard-nosed than the agent, and they can get a discount, while most us Westerners are left out in the cold.

In regard to Visa and Guangzhou questions, they are fully answered elsewhere in this forum. I would suggest using the search function under "my assistant." I should add, that I'm not flaming you or telling you to RTFF. It is simply a matter that others have better answers than myself in this area.

Good luck, discount hunting

Thanks ... and how long will we need to stay in Guangzhou? Will we pick up the visa there or will it be mailed?

153121[/snapback]

I believe the visa can be picked up in a day or two after the i'view, and I have heard that mail is not a good idea.

As far as tickets, I am a United flyer, and United one way to Denver is about $700 to $800 each. My plan is when she gets the P4 , :lol: I will schedule my trip to Shanghai, get 2 R.T. tix to Guz. We intend to fly to Guz the day before, and back to Sha two days after. I have heard it is easier to change flights in China, than in the US, just in case we need an extra day to get the visa. I think airfare averages $200 R.T. each from Sha to Guz and back.

For me, to buy in advance is always cheaper. If I have to cancel, United will charge $100 and leave the balance for a future flight. The risk of losing this $100 I think is cheaper waiting to buy an expensive ticket a day or two before the flight home, so I always buy in advance.

Hope that helps !

We waited to buy her ticket after she passed interview but before we picked up VISA.

There is a Travel agency right in consulate building, next to coffee shop where you can buy relatively cheap one way return tickets. United quoted me $1,200 USD for a ticket from Hong Kong to BWI airport, the same ticket, was 5,000 RMB tax incl. (or approx. $600 USD).

Our interview was Thursday morning and we picked up VISA at Post, on Saturday, if you want them to mail it to you I beleive its three days.

Eric

Edited by riki37421 (see edit history)

My SO calls around for the cheapest domestic flights in her city. I don't think I can book or find anything cheaper than her rates. Be prepared to pay in RMB cash if you do this.

Pick the visa up at the GUZ post office for $20 RMB. You have to check if they have the name, birthday, etc. are correct. If you pay extra for the mailing what happens if you have to correct the visa?

You can book international flights online or through major cities.