Did I misunderstand this whole EAD thing?

We applied for the EAD (I-765) at the same time we applied for AOS. Today we got the EAD card in the mail but still have not gotten the temp. green card. The EAD has only a 1 year expiration on it. For some reason I thought it was supposed to be for 10 years. My wife doesn't even work nor does she plan to work any time but I thought I would get it for her just in case. Now it appears I threw $175 down the drain for nothing because I'm guessing I have to reapply for it again next year when it expires and give them their outrageous $175 fee again? To add to the confusion she called a friend of hers who is married to an American also and using a lawyer for all of their AOS stuff. Supposedly the lawyer told her they should wait till after they have the temp. green card to apply for the EAD because they don't have to pay for it then. Many I'm really confused now!!!!!!!!!!!! :greenblob:

EAD allows your wife to work while she is waiting for the green card. once you get the temp green card you will no longer need an EAD. Your friends lawyer is WRONG--once she gets the green card there is no temp EAD-IT IS NOT NEEDED!!!! The green card allows her to work etc......

We applied for the EAD (I-765) at the same time we applied for AOS.  Today we got the EAD card in the mail but still have not gotten the temp. green card.  The EAD has only a 1 year expiration on it.  For some reason I thought it was supposed to be for 10 years.  My wife doesn't even work nor does she plan to work any time but I thought I would get it for her just in case. Now it appears I threw $175 down the drain for nothing because I'm guessing I have to reapply for it again next year when it expires and give them their outrageous $175 fee again?  To add to the confusion she called a friend of hers who is married to an American also and using a lawyer for all of their AOS stuff.  Supposedly the lawyer told her they should wait till after they have the temp. green card to apply for the EAD because they don't have to pay for it then.  Many I'm really confused now!!!!!!!!!!!! :unsure:

152102[/snapback]

Since you are filing AOS and you have been married less than two years She will receive a conditional green card that is only good for 2 years. Make sure you file to have the conditions removed within 90 days prior to the card expiring or your wife will be out of status and could be deported.

We applied for the EAD (I-765) at the same time we applied for AOS.  Today we got the EAD card in the mail but still have not gotten the temp. green card.  The EAD has only a 1 year expiration on it.  For some reason I thought it was supposed to be for 10 years.  My wife doesn't even work nor does she plan to work any time but I thought I would get it for her just in case.   Now it appears I threw $175 down the drain for nothing because I'm guessing I have to reapply for it again next year when it expires and give them their outrageous $175 fee again?  To add to the confusion she called a friend of hers who is married to an American also and using a lawyer for all of their AOS stuff.  Supposedly the lawyer told her they should wait till after they have the temp. green card to apply for the EAD because they don't have to pay for it then.  Many I'm really confused now!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

152102[/snapback]

Since you are filing AOS and you have been married less than two years She will receive a conditional green card that is only good for 2 years. Make sure you file to have the conditions removed within 90 days prior to the card expiring or your wife will be out of status and could be deported.

152114[/snapback]

Now there are a bunch of USC who wish that was possible with their USC wives, but then that is another story. :lol: