she sounds SCARY

izus

Most reputations are earned. A winner rises above being unfairly targeted. It's pretty cheesy to suggest that someone is unfairly targeted strictly because of the color of their skin.

151687[/snapback]

not cheesy at all. I have two children of different races and well aware of prejudice towards them. I know darn well of the prejudice Asians have towards blacks. Anecdotal data is not real data - just gossip

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most reputations are earned. A winner rises above being unfairly targeted. It's pretty cheesy to suggest that someone is unfairly targeted strictly because of the color of their skin.

151687[/snapback]

not cheesy at all. I have two children of different races and well aware of prejudice towards them. I know darn well of the prejudice Asians have towards blacks. Anecdotal data is not real data - just gossip

151698[/snapback]

Paul, ask your SO to give you the '001' reason for her name...

But maybe this is just the opinion of those who started it, and it should be disregarded anyway...

I think it's a cheesy argument. Sorry. We all have our opinions. Turning this into a race issue in completely inappropriate.

151703[/snapback]

As a white guy you have your opinions. I have some real world experiences. Don't discount them with an insult

151707[/snapback]

but to continuelly stir the pot is not helping its only making matters worse

why cant we all just get along...

its really sad how quickly the fingers go up pointing at one another.

i started this thread by simply asking a simple question. please lets not turn anything into a white black thing.

151708[/snapback]

Then you need to re-examine the title of your thread and what you were thinking when you started it.

Guest ShaQuaNew
As a white guy you have your opinions. I have some real world experiences. Don't discount them with an insult

151707[/snapback]

How do you know I'm white? Even if I were what does the color of my skin have to do with it? Great, now we are letting racism into this forum.

why cant we all just get along...

its really sad how quickly the fingers go up pointing at one another.

i started this thread by simply asking a simple question. please lets not turn anything into a white black thing.

151708[/snapback]

Then you need to re-examine the title of your thread and what you were thinking when you started it.

151711[/snapback]

what i was thinking was i was curious when the guy who told the wizard of oz story "the great guz" said black pearl was there..

i thought to myself, they have names for the people that work there?

i immeadiatly wondered if i should be concerned with this person upon SO's interview. i dont care who you are what color you are even if you are my relative, dont get in my way of me my lady.

its hard enough to deal with a long distance relationship and everyone here should know this. to let alone have to worry about anything else.

I remember my fiancee talked about the "Black Pearl".

She did not have her, but she said she did not seem so bad. She said that she had a warm voice.

She mentioned that she was checking everything very carefully, but that she did not think she was being extra mean or nasty.

Sounds like the Black Pearl is just someone who is taking her job very seriously and checking everything twice.

Another comment from my fiancee is that the Chinese clerks who check the medical package documents seem to have very little emotion or passion for their work. They seem very cold.

But when she saw the visa officers or talked with the one that gave her the interview, she said they seemed to enjoy their jobs or have a passion and warmth that the Chinese clerks did not have.

so it seems the worst part of the interview day may be just getting past the Chinese clerks.

I think it may be a cultural thing, maybe the Chinese clerks are taking their jobs very seriously and have a cold attitude, but the visa officers, try to make the best of what could be a boreing job, asking people the same questions over and over again. The visa officers also know they have a kind of job security, since i would suppose that there is not a bit competition for people to become visa officers in guangzhou.

My wife had a similar experience. She said the Chinese clerk who processed the papers was rather rude, but the VO who conducted the interview was very friendly. I had heard of the Black Pearl and others and purposely did not tell my wife about them. I did not want her to be scared and freeze up at the interview.

We actually ran into an a.. hole Immigration Officer at Chicago O'Hare during the POE. They have you sit and call you one by one to be fingerprinted. Well, he pronouced my wife's name wrong and I said I think he might have called you. We were gathering up our carry-on luggage and walking to his booth and he shouts "hurry up". He had the thickest Russian accent, I thought we might have accidently landed in Moscow. I wanted to grab him by the collar and pull out of the booth and tell him "He sould learn to speak English", but I bit my tongue and waited for her passport to be stamped and we got the hell out of there!!

I can't believe ANYONE would take calling a black VO who is unjustly harsh "black pearl" as a racial slur. Have we become so politically correct that we can not refer to any persons by their obvious physical attributes in our description of them--Or is it just "trendy" to go to bat for the perceived underdog, thus making us feel oh so good about ourselves.

WAKE UP!!!! IT ISN'T ABOUT HER RACE any more than glasses boy is about his glasses or his gender. It's just a description!

gimmee a break already!!

Combine the known prejudice that exists with the following question: Would the name still be "black widow" had the person been a white VO ?

Doesn't take a degree at all to figure that out.

A few VOs have earned a reputation for their hardness... it's a bit tasteless to make a point of who they are with their skin color.

151696[/snapback]

You had to pick out the name "Black Widow" which was based on the actual female spider's behavior of killing after mating. The term has been used to reference many women who killed their husband without regard to race.

I really think this concern with a nick name attached to an American in a foreign country by people who don't seem to have the great political correct sensitivity that has blossomed in the US is anything to get upset over.

I believe the only prejudice that exists from the Chinese SO's is concerning someone who was a hard ass. Perhaps they should have called her that. :greenblob:

We should let Rev. Al Sharpton know about it so he can make it an international issue, he's great at making nothing out of something and something out of nothing, kinda like this thread.

Edited by LeeFisher3 (see edit history)
I can't believe ANYONE would take calling a black VO who is unjustly harsh "black pearl" as a racial slur. Have we become so politically correct that we can not refer to any persons by their obvious physical attributes in our description of them--Or is it just "trendy" to go to bat for the perceived underdog, thus making us feel oh so good about ourselves.

WAKE UP!!!! IT ISN'T ABOUT HER RACE any more than glasses boy is about his glasses or his gender. It's just a description!

gimmee a break already!!

152263[/snapback]

Im glad you brought that up Trigg. I am usually pretty sensitive about race issues but I don't see anything derogatory about the term "black pearl" Aren't black pearls considered beautiful and precious? Seems more complimentry than derogatory. If they called her black terror it would still be borderline only because the term black is in there. What if they called one of the white VOs white terror? Would we still be as sensitive?

gimmee a break already!!

152263[/snapback]

Good point Trigg ... obvious physical attributes ... following up you may now refer to me as Big Wa** ...err oh no ... that's a common Chinese family name ... could be misinterpreted.

:wub: