Chinese superstitions

I am curious as to whether in your travels in China you have ever seen a building missing the thirteenth floor. It is rather common in the United States especially in hotels. Of course that tradition has been scientifically validated.

Do kids in America still avoid stepping on cracks in the sidewalk so they don't break their Mother's back? I wonder where that came from other than that crack and back rhyme. I had a few friends that would hop all around trying to avoid them. One friend missed once and sat down crying afraid to go home and see what she had done to her Mother.

So, is Friday the 13th a good day for a wedding? Don't trip on that black cat walking in front of you. But you can avoid it by just stepping under that ladder :rolleyes:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am interested to know what superstitions have caused problems for you or your relationship. For example, did any of you know that this is an unlucky year to get married?

Yes, but hopefully your SO has bought you red underwear to counteract this bad luck. I've got it (and had to wear it for the New Year Celebration in Feb),. Have to wear it for the wedding too :rolleyes:

I am interested to know what superstitions have caused problems for you or your relationship. For example, did any of you know that this is an unlucky year to get married?

Yes, but hopefully your SO has bought you red underwear to counteract this bad luck. I've got it (and had to wear it for the New Year Celebration in Feb),. Have to wear it for the wedding too :rolleyes:

151397[/snapback]

I don't wear underwear, I find that I too often get tied up in it.

Guest ShaQuaNew

There is one superstition between us. I know that when she's unhappy I will be also. I am practicing my mop-slap ducking routine before she gets here. Unfortunately it's looking like there is plenty of time to practice....

Before our baby was born, the Chinese calendar (along with a few other things) told her (and her family) that we were going to have a boy.

After everyone was convinced we were having a boy, but of course we actually had a girl.

My wife explained to me that the Chinese calendar prediction doesn't work when one of the parents isn't Chinese. :D

Before our baby was born, the Chinese calendar (along with a few other things) told her (and her family) that we were going to have a boy.   

After everyone was convinced we were having a boy, but of course we actually had a girl. 

My wife explained to me that the Chinese calendar prediction doesn't work when one of the parents isn't Chinese. :D

151446[/snapback]

I wonder if this works in our favor as well? :lol:

I am curious as to whether in your travels in China you have ever seen a building missing the thirteenth floor. It is rather common in the United States especially in hotels. Of course that tradition has been scientifically validated.

Do kids in America still avoid stepping on cracks in the sidewalk so they don't break their Mother's back? I wonder where that came from other than that crack and back rhyme. I had a few friends that would hop all around trying to avoid them. One friend missed once and sat down crying afraid to go home and see what she had done to her Mother.

So, is Friday the 13th a good day for a wedding? Don't trip on that black cat walking in front of you. But you can avoid it by just stepping under that ladder  :D

151392[/snapback]

What's your point? I know superstitions occur the world over. But I recognize superstitions from my culture for what they are and do not allow them to dictate my life.

To satisfy your curiousity, I've never seen a building in China without a 13th floor, but I have never seen a hotel or hospital that wasn't missing a 4th floor (si4=four, si3=death/die).

like i stated earlier all cultures will have the superstitions...

we dont build 13th floors here in the US although i did mention that to Chun while i was there last that her building had one.

i said....ahhh 13th floor, she looked at me like i was out of my mind...

im used to getting that look :helpsmilie:

anyways

faith and religion are a little hard to differentiate, and they are often very much inter related or confused.. all teaching by a religion is generally considered as religious matter, while other customs and traditional beliefs not taught by a religious body is considered as faith. Also, superstition often influences the faith and the lives of people.

http://www.educ.uvic.ca/faculty/mroth/438/CHINA/taboos.html

I realize there have been other threads posted about Chinese superstitions. But, after reading Amber's website and her list of superstitions, I wonder if any of you would share your experiences on this. Have there been superstitions that you have had to overcome or retrain your SO? Some of these superstitions have been confirmed by my Chinese friends. And, I wonder if my SO will bring these with her. I traveled to Nanning on dates that were given to her aunt and mother by a fortune teller

Some of these superstitions are from not sleeping with a fan on you to shaving a child's head at 2 years old to grow the hair full to not bathing during a woman's time of the month.

I am just wondering if superstitions are something that I will need to realize, when my SO is with me. Other than the cute and whimsical, are there any superstitions that I will honestly need her to overcome, say for purpose of health, for example?

150776[/snapback]

When I told my SO that I was buying a new house (one way to avoid cleaning the apartment before she arrives :P ), I was told that I needed to burn wood in the new house when I move and also place $18 in a red envelop under the bed.

151262[/snapback]

Very funny!! Hope you have a fireplace! And, just 18 bucks? I know that 8 is considered lucky, but I wonder about the $18 figure. Guess, I may need to try that too. Is your lady a Nanning girl?

151267[/snapback]

Luckily, I did have a fireplace. Otherwise my instructions were to burn it is an pan. I'll need to ask about the number 18. I was also told that when she gets here, I should give or an evelope with either $18 or $180.

And yes, she is from Nanning.