whats it mean?

Guest ShaQuaNew
whats the true meaning of Lau Puo?

i asked Chun about it and she said she doesnt like that type of name...

i guess its equal to over here in the states

"my old lady"

Lau i guess means old

but what does Puo mean?

149934[/snapback]

Hmmmm,

First I heard that the term might be undesireable. Lan is proud to call me LawGon and I call her LauPo. She nor her family or friends have ever indicated the term to be undesireable like "ole lady."

Simply Wife and Husband....yes?

Guest ShaQuaNew

Not sure on this one. As you know the whole Chinese tone thing can be quite confusing. I will have to ask Lan about this when she wakes up. Course, I could just call her again and ask her if she's sleeping now..... :lol:

...Every time I do that, I'm sure to get a call to ask me the same question.... :(

just looked it up there are too many meanings

Lao Po

lao3 gong1 = husband

lao3 po2 = wife

im wondering the context of the meaning though since Chun doesnt like it?? :lol:

lao3 when alone i think means old

149937[/snapback]

I know Jenny doesn't like the terms either and doesn't want me to call her by that name. Must be some negative connotation

just looked it up there are too many meanings

Lao Po

lao3 gong1 = husband

lao3 po2 = wife

im wondering the context of the meaning though since Chun doesnt like it?? :lol:

lao3 when alone i think means old

149937[/snapback]

you seem to have gotten it right.

I observed it is common to use in Northeast... more common to use "Lao Po" than say "Tai Tai" for wife.

Although I did not hear much of "Lao Tai Tai", but I think translates to 'old woman' ; venerable madam... but begins to reveal the idea of why 'old' is prefaced, meaning changes to one of high respect [for those that are accustomed to using it].

A man will call an older gentleman, "Lao Ma" (surname=Ma) as a sign of respect for [his] age.

My SO explained it to me also as meaning, we will live a long life together, grow 'old' together. So addressing each other with Lao Po and Lao Gong are a sign of our long lasting committment and love to each other into old age... We use the terms all the time.

I observed it is common to use in Northeast... more common to use "Lao Po" than say "Tai Tai" for wife.

Although I did not hear much of "Lao Tai Tai", but I think translates to 'old woman' ; venerable madam... but begins to reveal the idea of why 'old' is prefaced, meaning changes to one of high respect [for those that are accustomed to using it].

A man will call an older gentleman, "Lao Ma" (surname=Ma) as a sign of respect for [his] age. 

My SO explained it to me also as meaning, we will live a long life together, grow 'old' together.    So addressing each other with Lao Po and Lao Gong are a sign of our long lasting committment and love to each other into old age... We use the terms all the time.

149944[/snapback]

Tai Tai means a married woman.

Lao Tai Tai refers to an old married woman who is a grandmother or great grandmother or older.

Although I did not hear much of "Lao Tai Tai",   but I think translates to 'old woman' ; venerable madam... but begins to reveal the idea of why 'old' is prefaced, meaning changes to one of high respect [for those that are accustomed to using it].

My SO explained it to me also as meaning, we will live a long life together, grow 'old' together.    So addressing each other with Lao Po and Lao Gong are a sign of our long lasting committment and love to each other into old age...   We use the terms all the time.

149944[/snapback]

Tai Tai means a married woman.

Lao Tai Tai refers to an old married woman who is a grandmother or great grandmother or older.

149945[/snapback]

i just dont think its a good idea to call Chun old anything... :unsure:

it depends on the region, my wife and I always use the laopo and laogong terms affectionately to each other, she is from Shanghai, but a friend I had from Shenzhen says those are more common terms and that the Professional ranks use another term but I forgot the terms... maybe someone with a SO from Shenzhen can chime in to help out on this one...

So many things to learn :unsure: Chinese is almost as confusing as English. I had understood that Tai Tai is a term used in Hong Kong and Taiwan. All my Taiwan friends use the term Tai Tai. No one mentions the term Ai Ren which use to be in all the study books about 20 years ago. So when is Qin Ai De used? This was the term I was told to use and I have heard other couples call each other this.

my girl is from beijing, i didnt think shanghai and beijing had many differences...

i love learning about it though... B)

i can not imagine respesctive chinese people calling there devoted love of there lives..

"ol' woman"

as we know the term :D

yo wuz'up ol' girl!!

i dont think that would go over to well :huh:

So many things to learn0„2 :D Chinese is almost as confusing as English. I had understood that Tai Tai is a term used in Hong Kong and Taiwan. All my Taiwan friends use the term Tai Tai. No one mentions the term Ai Ren which use to be in all the study books about 20 years ago. So when is Qin Ai De used? This was the term I was told to use and I have heard other couples call each other this.

149970[/snapback]

Do you mean Xin Ai de? (I think this would be like love of my heart)

Hong Kong speaks Cantonese, Taiwan speaks Mandarin, but 'Tai Tai' may be the same in both.

Are Lao Po and Lao Gong Cantonese terms? (Yes, I know - husband and wife) That may explain why she doesn't like them

Qizi is Mandarin for wife - like what Ty calls his.

Sorry - but my Lao Po kept the translator, and the Lao Gong is stuck with only the electronic dictionary.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)