Resigning from the CCP - Best Way to Do It?

Hello,

My wife resigned from the CCP by stopping her monthly payments. According to their policies, membership is automatically terminated after 6 months, from what she was told.

But now that the interview is coming up, I just wanted to ask the candleforlove members if they know of a better way to officially quit. How have your SO's handled it? Is there a phone number or an address she can write to to reconfirm the resignation? I really don't want to have to wait for another "letter" to show to the embassy, but I also don't want her to say she quit and find out she's still on the list!

I did a search, and couldn't find any info on this, unfortunately.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Guest ShaQuaNew
Don't fret. The US doesn't get a copy of the membership roster. If/when the question comes up, she can tell them why she was a member. If it was for work opportunites, there shouldn't be any problem. My best advice is to not point it out to them like it's a big deal and just address it if it comes up in the interview.

149842[/snapback]

The US does not condemn anyone attempting to immigrate for being a patriot. Certainly, while there are many in China that are not members of the CCP, there are also many that are.

If you go back to the early 1950s US and the McCarthy era, there were quite a number of people that were afraid of anything Communist. Thankfully, much of the US government has wised up and is aware that a Communist regime does not automatically imply threat.

The US is primarily concerned in criminal activity. Being a communist is not a crime. You will be fine. Additionally, even if she didn't resign, that would not be cause for a legal denial.

Additionally, even if she didn't resign, that would not be cause for a legal denial.

149897[/snapback]

I also would not fret it since resignation has been done..

But not so sure I would state that not resigning has no legal ground for denial...

9FAM and a few of the documents that the SO fills out clearly state reasons for ineligibility, including being a member... I don't know that I've heard of a case where a person was denied based on this, but it appears to be within their right to do so on some level.

Guest ShaQuaNew
But not so sure I would state that not resigning has no legal ground for denial...   

149899[/snapback]

I thought about this after I posted. I'm not sure, but would be surprised if one could be denied on that basis alone.

In the scenario of Hope for the Best-Prepare for the Worst. There have been a couple of people on this board a while back that did have some trouble with this, it was resolved, but a serious bump in the road. Do a search :huh:

Most of you know that my So is facing the same delema in two weeks..She also went the the CP leader at her work to ask to quit.. He told her there were two options she could take.. One, put in writing a statement wishing to quit which would then be "discussed" and a decision made.. She stated that he seemed to imply that this would not happen easily and that they could harass her into changing her mind...She mentioned the word "threaten"..... he also sugeested that she simply not pay any more dues and this would automatically kick her out...I had prepared a letter for her and since this auto term falls within the contract termination of her job, we didnt change it any...I told me So , that if asked just explain or give them the letter.. but dont volunteer any info if not asked.....here is the letter we have prepared... oh and should we run into problems requiring a waiver to be filed...I have send her the papers and a check for 250.00 for the wavier but not to mention this to them as well...

One note.. I do not suggest getting this noterized as most chinese government officals might have a problem with it.

The reason I joined the Communist Party was solely for the pupose of obtaining employment. When I was attending Xiamen University, My graduating classmates told me that I needed to join the party if I wanted to get a high paying good job in my field of expertise. Only those students with membership would be the ones that got excepted to the best work organizations..My present job does indeed look at membership as a way of determining the best applicants for the job to hire. I do not believe in the ideals or beliefs of the Communist Party and will no longer be a member of the party once my contract with my current employment is over.

Signed

Date

The letter Steve prepared meets the full and complete rules for the exception to be applied and the VO has full authority to make a determination on this issue, the unfortunate part is the VO will do whatever they please and could always request a waiver based on a whim or whether the coffee tastes good that morning.

I can’t fully agree with Don because the question does come up in writing on the many of the immigration forms and the VO has the opportunity to be fully aware of this at the interview:

.....DS-230 Part II Question 30 item C

.....Supplemental Form GNI-2 Item C

.....I-485 Part 3 Question 6 (used for AOS)

The question must be answered truthfully as the repercussions of a lie are extreme, on the DS-230 the wording is so mangled you almost need an interpreter or lawyer to understand the question. I’d say let the VO explain the question because it is so very confusing and uses complex grammar and punctuation which is well beyond most native born Americans, much less a Chinese national.

Edited by LeeFisher3 (see edit history)
So I wasn't misunderstood........

I always recommend answering the forms truthfully. If someone has even been a party member, they should be up front about about it. In the past, I've read interview reports where it was never mentioned by the VO or simply questioned as to why. The response satisfied the VO and visas were issued. Hence, my point it is nothing to really worry about.

My other point about the GZ not having access to the party membership was in reference to GZ checking them out. That won't happen. The only way anything would come to the US' attention would be having a name pop up during the FBI namecheck. Most run of the mill party members would not be notable.

150033[/snapback]

Don, I only meant to say that due to the forms required before the interview the answer is available to the VO before the interview.

I suggest you be very cautious about the CCP membership.

It should not be taken lightly. I have had customers who tried to explain that they joined the CCP for better living standards (jobs), but still were refused. Then they are left with the prospect of applying for a waiver from DOJ or waiting years.

I can't give any specifc advice to you, but research the legal issue and prepare appropriate information to meet the challenge if required. I would suggest not volunteering anything, wait until asked. Be truthful on the documents submitted.

Thanks for all the info, guys. So now that her 6 months has long since passed, I guess a letter to the CCP is unnecessary? I guess all she'll do is be truthful and answer the VO's questions. I'm hoping they won't ask (the interview is done in Sydney, Australia).

Also, she never seeked any employment since she's been in college and grad school continuously, so it'll be hard to make a convincing argument saying she needed it for employment. Perhaps she'll just say that at the University, it was recommended by classmates and teachers to join, because future employment would be easier, but she never took advantage of it.

Thakns again for the advice, guys :huh:

• 3 years later...

Hi, I just read your post and my hubby was a ccp member - not anymore. on the DS230 question 30, it says "who is a member of or affiliated with the Communist or other totalitarian party". Because he is not affiliated with them anymore, does this mean I can check the "no" box? I'm sorry, it's difficult for me to understand the wording. thanks.

The letter Steve prepared meets the full and complete rules for the exception to be applied and the VO has full authority to make a determination on this issue, the unfortunate part is the VO will do whatever they please and could always request a waiver based on a whim or whether the coffee tastes good that morning.

I can’t fully agree with Don because the question does come up in writing on the many of the immigration forms and the VO has the opportunity to be fully aware of this at the interview:

The question must be answered truthfully as the repercussions of a lie are extreme, on the DS-230 the wording is so mangled you almost need an interpreter or lawyer to understand the question. I’d say let the VO explain the question because it is so very confusing and uses complex grammar and punctuation which is well beyond most native born Americans, much less a Chinese national.

Hi, I just read your post and my hubby was a ccp member - not anymore. on the DS230 question 30, it says "who is a member of or affiliated with the Communist or other totalitarian party". Because he is not affiliated with them anymore, does this mean I can check the "no" box? I'm sorry, it's difficult for me to understand the wording. thanks.

My feeling is that a CR1 may be able to answer this truthfully "no" and if not questioned at the interview then they have avoided the issue for good; only K# will do the I-485 where the wording is "have you ever been..." which is more inescapable...

but realize at the interview, they can ask if one has "ever" been a member... which would probably be followed up with, "when" did you quit? I think it is a five year window... if less than five years ago, then they can deny the visa and force one into the waiver process.