Shipping Goods from China

Guest ShaQuaNew

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife wants her family to send something over to her. Her dad tried to send it and found out the price has quadrupled. Does anyone know if that is true?

We would like to start a small business here, just buy and sell Chinese goods. What is the best way to have them send here? Thanks for your responses!

Guest ShaQuaNew
My wife wants her family to send something over to her.  Her dad tried to send it and found out the price has quadrupled.  Does anyone know if that is true? 

We would like to start a small business here, just buy and sell Chinese goods.  What is the best way to have them send here?  Thanks for your responses!

148985[/snapback]

Knowing the approximate weight and girth (size of the box needed) will help. Do you have an idea?

e.g., 35 kilograms with a 2 foot x 3 foot box.....

We just talked to China Post about shipping dozens of books to America. Very discouraging! Two things surprised me. First, the price was much higher than expected. The exact price escapes me now, but it was well over 10 US bucks per kilogram! Second, I expected they might have a "book rate." Most of my reading material has been sent to me in small parcels that come extra cheap because of the content. But China Post said the price was higher for shipping just books! Though you can get the lower price just by throwing in a few other things - some clothes, kitchen appliances, household pets....

We just talked to China Post about shipping dozens of books to America. Very discouraging! Two things surprised me. First, the price was much higher than expected. The exact price escapes me now, but it was well over 10 US bucks per kilogram! Second, I expected they might have a "book rate." Most of my reading material has been sent to me in small parcels that come extra cheap because of the content. But China Post said the price was higher for shipping just books! Though you can get the lower price just by throwing in a few other things - some clothes, kitchen appliances, household pets....

151463[/snapback]

Yes, it is. My SO shipped some books to me mixed in with cloths to get within the weight limits. Took about 6-8 weeks

Guest ShaQuaNew

151463[/snapback]

We have decided to just send a little at a time rather than large shipments. But, with that being said, Lan has a new contact in Shenzhen that is helping her. Here are the rates from China to Florida...

44 Kg and Under = 70 RMB per Kg

Over 44 Kg = 30 RMB per Kg

This service picks up at her home or office and packs the box. She just mailed a 15 Kg box today. I will let you know how it turns out.

Chun shipped some stuff to me and we thought it got lost in the mail....it literally took about 4 months to reach me...

currently have a friend who does that sort of thing but with containers...

he imports stuff from china and exports from here out of the states.

im wondering if he could do smaller amounts.

ill see if i can post some numbers

• 2 weeks later...
Okay,

Shipping things from China will sooner or later be something that most all of us will be doing and many already have personal experience.

I've searched Candle for some specific information on this topic and as you would expect the results were mixed. I read of many that had bad experiences with damage, and also there was quite a wide range of suggestions on price. Unfortunately the posts were hard to read and only a couple had specific information where one could do an intelligent comparison one to another.

I would enjoy hearing from ANYONE that has first hand experience with shipping large boxes (e.g., square meter or larger). If you would also indicate the company name, website if any, the cost, any special paperwork required, etc.

Perhaps this will be something that we can later provide to our members in the FAQ.

Thanks....

;)

147384[/snapback]

I have a question too.....My SO has about 250 DVD's....but are the :ph34r: copies they sell in China. We talked about shipping them, but UPS said they may get confiscated at one of the ports.

I dont know if that will lead to federal charges, but we did not take a chance sending them. Does anyone know anything about sending or bringing these DVD's to america? Should we give up the idea?

I dont like the idea of throwing away 250 DVD that have chinese subtitles on it that we can both watch, but on the other hand, I dont want to be :bangin: and risk the K1, or worse, land one of us in a Fed Pen. :banned:

I have a question too.....My SO has about 250 DVD's....but are the  :ph34r: copies they sell in China. We talked about shipping them, but UPS said they may get confiscated at one of the ports.

I dont know if that will lead to federal charges, but we did not take a chance sending them. Does anyone know anything about sending or bringing these DVD's to america? Should we give up the idea?

I dont like the idea of throwing away 250 DVD that have chinese subtitles on it that we can both watch, but on the other hand, I dont want to be ;) and risk the K1, or worse, land one of us in a Fed Pen.  :banned:

153562[/snapback]

There have been several posts on bringing DVD's through customs - I think DavidZixuan brought somewhere around that number back with him one trip. I think that bootlegs are just not something they look for, although you might catch someone's eye by bringing 250 copies of the same DVD.

Also, be aware that the region code probably won't bite you (China is Region 6, but most Chinese DVD's are Region 0 - universal), but they are the PAL format and won't play on American TV's, unless your DVD play will convert to NTSC.

Okay,

Shipping things from China will sooner or later be something that most all of us will be doing and many already have personal experience.

I've searched Candle for some specific information on this topic and as you would expect the results were mixed. I read of many that had bad experiences with damage, and also there was quite a wide range of suggestions on price. Unfortunately the posts were hard to read and only a couple had specific information where one could do an intelligent comparison one to another.

I would enjoy hearing from ANYONE that has first hand experience with shipping large boxes (e.g., square meter or larger). If you would also indicate the company name, website if any, the cost, any special paperwork required, etc.

Perhaps this will be something that we can later provide to our members in the FAQ.

Thanks....

;)

147384[/snapback]

I have a question too.....My SO has about 250 DVD's....but are the :ph34r: copies they sell in China. We talked about shipping them, but UPS said they may get confiscated at one of the ports.

I dont like the idea of throwing away 250 DVD that have chinese subtitles on it that we can both watch, but on the other hand, I dont want to be :bleh: and risk the K1, or worse, land one of us in a Fed Pen. :o

153562[/snapback]

ameriken,

Yes, split them into manageable groups, mail most via China Post. The remainder take in your baggage. As long as you don't get carried away, most customs pass them.

Better half is already doing this with not one single problem

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ShaQuaNew
Here are the rates from China to Florida...

44 Kg and Under = 70 RMB per Kg

Over 44 Kg = 30 RMB per Kg

This service picks up at her home or office and packs the box. She just mailed a 15 Kg box today. I will let you know how it turns out.

151482[/snapback]

Wanted to add a follow up that this service worked exceptionally. It was sent Via DHL from Shenzhen to the US and arrived in less than one week.

Guest ShaQuaNew
We determined they were too expensive for us, so we have used none of them.

156947[/snapback]

So, what alternative method did you select for shipping goods from China if the numbers you posted were too expensive?