Making Telephone Calls....

Guest ShaQuaNew

Guest ShaQuaNew

I have seen quite a number of threads relating to making telephone calls TO China, but have seen only a few regarding making calls FROM China to the US.

Often times my SO may want to speak with me but she is unable to call from her work or cell phone and it's very expensive to dial direct anyway. Not long ago I found a telephone card with which she could use from any cell phone, land line, or other to call me. When she calls she simply asks me to call her back.

I am now using a calling card from iTravel Kit

http://www.itravelkit.com/

There I can purchase a calling card for her online and get an access number and pin code. The rate is 0.45 cents per minute, and though high it's one of the cheaper rates I was able to find that enabled her to call from any telephone.

Does anyone have experience with any other cheaper services that offer the features I've mentioned?

We always bought are card right off the street vedors. The ones in shanyang were 28 yuan, and sure seemed to have a lot of minutes on them. Did the same in shanghai, and GZ. The cards were area specific, and would not work in other towns. all the cards were in that price range. But as to how many minutes i couldnt tell ya

Regards,

Jim

Guest ShaQuaNew
We always bought are card right off the street vedors. The ones in shanyang were 28 yuan, and sure seemed to have a lot of minutes on them. Did the same in shanghai, and GZ. The cards were area specific, and would not work in other towns. all the cards were in that price range. But as to how many minutes i couldnt tell ya

Regards,

Jim

146907[/snapback]

Thanks but....

The cards available from the Street Vendors are usually only good for local or China only calls. I'm speaking of a card the enables the caller to call FROM China to the US from any landline or cell phone.....

Guest ShaQuaNew
that is what i used them for, calling the US

Regards,

Jim

146911[/snapback]

I've not seen that type, but thanks just the same. :bangin:

If anyone knows of a specific company that includes it's rates per minute, website, etc., for making calls from China to the US please let me know.

Right now as I mentioned in my original message, I'm paying 0.45 cents per minute. My SO is able to dial from China using an access code and pin number. What I'm looking for is simply something that costs less that has a minimum of the same functionality as what I'm using through iTravel.

:blink:

that is what i used them for, calling the US

Regards,

Jim

146911[/snapback]

I've not seen that type, but thanks just the same. :bangin:

If anyone knows of a specific company that includes it's rates per minute, website, etc., for making calls from China to the US please let me know.

Right now as I mentioned in my original message, I'm paying 0.45 cents per minute. My SO is able to dial from China using an access code and pin number. What I'm looking for is simply something that costs less that has a minimum of the same functionality as what I'm using through iTravel.

:D

146914[/snapback]

There should be lots of such phone cards. I used to call with various provider's, and they all worked fine,such as China telcom, CNC, Tietong. You can ask your SO to shop for phone cards at local market. There should be loads of them on sale. I can always get the card with only half of the price printed on it. :blink:

I just bought 2 netphones, one for me one for Cory. Both of them are with a GZ local number and roaming is free. Though Cory calls GZ landline or cellphone No. with this netphone from his place, he only needs to pay local access rate, RMB0.1/min. The rate to US landline is RMB0.65. If we both use these phones to call, it's free. However, a monthly rent of RMB20 is required. But I still think it's a bargain. Quality is good, and very clear record. I plan to talk long hrs with cory over the weekend. hehehehe

There is an emerging international service often referred to as "callback". I don't know the details or the technology, but it's supposed to work something like this. When overseas, you dial an access number. You then hang up and wait for the phone to ring. You then enter the number you want to call. Through the mystery of technology, your overseas call becomes a domestic US call and is billed accordingly plus whatever charges for using the "callback" service.

Maybe someone in the industry can shed more light on this.

I use a card called pincity. I pay about 2.9 cents to call her. If she wants to call me, there is a Chinese "800" number she calls. My phone card is debited, so she doesn't have to pay. I think calls from china are only 4.5 cents per min - the feature is called italk

pincity

I used to use BigZoo (since out of business) which had the callback feature Frank aluded to. But you had to be near a computer to originate the call. With Pincity I was able to call the US while vacationing in Sanya without computers

did anyone check to see if onesuite has that feature for calling from other country?

Guest ShaQuaNew
There is an emerging international service often referred to as "callback".  I don't know the details or the technology, but it's supposed to work something like this.  When overseas, you dial an access number.  You then hang up and wait for the phone to ring.  You then enter the number you want to call.  Through the mystery of technology, your overseas call becomes a domestic US call and is billed accordingly plus whatever charges for using the "callback" service.

Maybe someone in the industry can shed more light on this.

146930[/snapback]

Thanks to all giving feedback here. I've seen a few references to the callback services, but like you Frank, am unfamiliar. It sounds good, but I've yet to speak with anyone with experience.

One would have to have some sort of a hang up or ring code to be able to indentify the incoming call from China. I suppose you could assume that if the call rings twice and ends that it might well be an incoming call, but again...just don't know.

For now, we pretty much use the calling card I bought her as a call back service, but I have noticed that there appears to be a two-minute minimum, even when the call only lasts less than ten seconds. We use the card sparingly though, and for now I get 45 minutes for twenty bucks. That has been lasting 3-4 weeks.

I guess there really are no cheap ways to call the US from China...?

Chun has a handful of different companies she uses on a regular basis one of the big ones is China Telecom....

when she wants to call me she can but we usually hang up and ill dial right back since i pay just 2 cents a minute

i think they cost 100RMB and are good for like an hour....

they are the same ones you buy at the airports....just ask for I.P.CARD :toot:

We are talking about 2 different kinds of cards here - the SIM card is inserted into a cell phone to connect you to a particular company's network, or a calling card, which allows you to call from a regular telephone. The SIM card was very convenient, and comparably inexpensive and provides a local number for others to call. Check www.china-mobile-phones .com/china-prepaid-sim.html for rates.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)