I guess nerves are setting in and that is why I am putting this question out there for advice or comments.

What if my fiancee passes her medical exam and one of our children does not? Would that child's status be automatically change to intention to follow at a later time or is this going to create another black hole of paperwork? Would my fiancee still be able to come to the USA or would she have the interview postponed until the child has a clean bill of health? I hear of certain medical conditions that a person carries from birth and are not detected until this complete examination.

I guess I just want to have all i's dotted and t's crossed...

Does anyone have a idea on what would take place?

Eric (esun41)

I have never heard of anyone Flunking the medical exam. I think it is pretty basic, you know how many fingers is the eye test, can you hear me is the hearing test. I think they look for TB and maybe STD's in the blood test. What kind of congenetal conditions have you heard of?

good question... maybe more worry than necessary...

can only give some hopeful assurance it will be ok:

Q.1.16 What information can you give me about the medical exam?

A.1.16.1

Frankly, it is rare to have someone flunk this exam. The primary problem that the doctor is checking for would be infectious diseases that are a public health threat, the most notable of these being HIV/AIDS and active TB, however there are other factors involved that you need to read about. One other factor to consider is whether the fiancée or spouse or child of the alien relative has a disease or disorder which could lead to debilitation and inability to wok. Another factor would be whether the immigrant was a danger to himself or others (such as mental illness in which psychosis was involved and was not controlled).

there are comments in 9FAM as to Class "A" and "B" and waivers, etc..

Q.1.17 Is a Medical Exam required?

A.1.17.1

Since applicants for K visas are essentially intending immigrants, a complete medical examination is required in every case.

The regulations of the USPHS (see 42 CFR 34.3(:P) provide that neither a chest X-ray examination nor serologic testing for syphilis and HIV infection shall be required if the alien is under the age of 15. A tuberculin test may be required, however, where there is evidence of contact with a known case of tuberculosis or other reason to suspect infection with tuberculosis, and a

chest X-ray examination is required in the event of a positive reaction. A serologic test may be required where there is reason to suspect infection with syphilis or HIV.

US Public Health Service/Center for Disease Control (USPHS/CDC) has approved an exception to the chest X-ray requirement for pregnant women who are required to have a medical examination in connection with the issuance of a visa.

USPHS has designated the following as communicable diseases of public health significance:

(1) Chancroid;

(2) Gonorrhea;

(3) Granuloma inguinale;

(4) Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection;

(5) Leprosy, infectious;

(6) Lymphogranuloma venereum;

(7) Syphilis, infectious stage; and

(8) Tuberculosis, active.

A.1.17.2

More info:

9 FAM 41.108 Notes:

http://foia.state.gov/masterdocs/09fam/0941108N.pdf

9 FAM 41.108 Procedural Notes:

http://foia.state.gov/masterdocs/09fam/0941108PN.pdf

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)
I have never heard of anyone Flunking the medical exam. I think it is pretty basic, you know how many fingers is the eye test, can you hear me is the hearing test. I think they look for TB and maybe STD's in the blood test. What kind of congenetal conditions have you heard of?

144636[/snapback]

Hepititis B and HIV. I heard there are exemptions for HIV so why not others? Just what I have read though and it is not really a competent source or website. Just wanted to gain more knowledge of sort.

Thanks for the reply!

Eric