Thanks Gene and Oleman, butI still don't understand the need for another interview in China.

By the time Lao Po arrives we will be only 6 months from our 2nd wedding aniversary.

How romantic, after our 1st 2 years of marraige we can finailly start our lives together. Let me tell you how grateful I am, oh. maybe not. ______ (rant goes here...)

Edited by Mengxin (see edit history)

Regardless of whether you are K-1, K-3, or CR1 it is the same. You must apply to have the conditions lifted within 90 days before the 2 year green card expires. Your marriage date has nothing to do with it unless you have been married 2 years already at the time your green card is issued in which case you already received a 10 year card.

The K-1 vs K-3 CR-1 has been heavily debated here. I think most would agree that K-1 is the easiest cheapest and the least hassle as well as usually the fastest. There are other advantages as well, Changing her name to her married name is easier, She can get a SSN as soon as she enters the country, in states where a SSN is required for a drivers licence she can get the drivers license sooner, she can get a bank account faster since SSN is required for that, etc etc etc. The choice is more of a personal one than a practical one. Many couples feel more secure being married instead of engaged, others may feel they are more commited to the relationship than thier engaged peers. It is just a matter of weighing the options and choosing the one that fits you.

Regardless of whether you are K-1, K-3, or CR1 it is the same.  You must apply to have the conditions lifted within 90 days before the 2 year green card expires.  Your marriage date has nothing to do with it unless you have been married 2 years already at the time your green card is issued in which case you already received a 10 year card. 

The K-1 vs K-3 CR-1 has been heavily debated here.  I think most would agree that K-1 is the easiest cheapest and the least hassle as well as usually the fastest.  There are other advantages as well, Changing her name to her married name is easier, She can get a SSN as soon as she enters the country, in states where a SSN is required for a drivers licence she can get the drivers license sooner, she can get a bank account faster since SSN is required for that, etc etc etc. The choice is more of a personal one than a practical one.  Many couples feel more secure being married instead of engaged, others may feel they are more commited to the relationship than thier engaged peers.  It is just a matter of weighing the options and choosing the one that fits you.

145358[/snapback]

I'de give anything to be with my wife right now. :D

Regardless of whether you are K-1, K-3, or CR1 it is the same.  You must apply to have the conditions lifted within 90 days before the 2 year green card expires.  Your marriage date has nothing to do with it unless you have been married 2 years already at the time your green card is issued in which case you already received a 10 year card. 

The K-1 vs K-3 CR-1 has been heavily debated here.  I think most would agree that K-1 is the easiest cheapest and the least hassle as well as usually the fastest.  There are other advantages as well, Changing her name to her married name is easier, She can get a SSN as soon as she enters the country, in states where a SSN is required for a drivers licence she can get the drivers license sooner, she can get a bank account faster since SSN is required for that, etc etc etc.   The choice is more of a personal one than a practical one.  Many couples feel more secure being married instead of engaged, others may feel they are more commited to the relationship than thier engaged peers.  It is just a matter of weighing the options and choosing the one that fits you.

145358[/snapback]

I'de give anything to be with my wife right now. B)

145360[/snapback]

I can understand how you feel... Same way everyone else felt when they were waiting, Yes it Hurts at times but judging by your timeline you are close to an interview date if it follows the same route as mine did. So Hang in there. my SO was here for 3 months and she went back for a 2 month visit and I miss her alot..But I know she'l be back the 28th..

Guest blsqueaky

Okay, I am going to try and explain this again. Shortly after Ling arrived here in the sates, on a K-3, we were starting to get ready for the AOS papers, shortly after, we heard from NVC that our I-130 was approved, so I started to check wait time regarding the AOS versus the I-130, and found out that it would take longer for the AOS then proceeding with the I-130. We found out that our interview for the I-130 was going to be after May, so hence, we have pursued the IR-1, and yes, you have to interview in China. It is the same as if you were married over there, doing the paperwork, and it took 2 years before the interview. If it took more than 2 years while your spouse was there, then your CR-1 that you were going after while she is there, then it would be upgraded to an IR-1, example, old member hypoclear. Another example, a close friend of Lings was married there, and it has taken more than 2 years, She finally got her interview, and she is arriving in the states on a IR-1. She never came here on a K-3.

Again, like I said earlier, this is not for everyone. You have to weigh your options, look at timelines and expenses and decide if this is what you want to do.

I hope that this clears up some of the mis-understanding.