interpreter for AOS interview?

Just looking at the letter we got from the USCIS about what to bring to the big AOS interview. It says to bring an interpreter if the beneficiary is not "fluent" in English. Of course my definition of "fluent" may not be the same as the USCIS's definition. My wife speaks basic conversational English but by no means is she ready to discuss the socio-economic impact of "War and Peace" on mid-20th century America. She did OK at the interview in Guangzhou although she did not get asked a lot of questions. Anybody still here that went through the AOS interview already who can shed some light on this issue? Thanks.

I know of one person in TX who's wife spoke almost no English and he got by without an interpretor. I've heard of another in the same wituation and the Questions she did not understand he was allowed to esplain it in Chinglish.

The problem with not taking an interpretor is that if they insist it is one of the few things that you have to go back for--can mail one to them.

I took a translator to my wifes interview but it was 200 miles away and i damned sure didn't wnat to come back.

If her english is conversational and you don't have to travel far---go for it!!

I think it all depends on the IO you get that day. Just like the VO at the visa interview in GZ. The decision rest with them.

That was one of the questions to us that the IO asked; "how do you two communicate?" I said to the IO that my wife's English needs improvement but we can understand each other quite well.

Tony, (ttlee_99), and his wife ran into that problem. I'm sure he will be more than happy to offer some insight from their experience.

I have to be optimistic and say you will do just fine but it all depends on how you feel and what your comfort zone is and how readily available a translator is to you. And of course, the IO.

So, without further ado, I think you'll do just fine!......... :P

-good luck

Tony is correct, just like the visa interview it depends on the IO you get. In our case I think had I not taken an interpreter we would have had to come back. The rule is (although not always followed by the IO) that if your spouse is not fluent enough to suit the IO the American spouse can not interpret. A best friend however is quite acceptable. It is a good idea to take one anyway since when the VO explains a lot of the legal mumbo jumbo about the conditions of the green card a basic understanding of english will likely not be sufficient.

Tony is correct, just like the visa interview it depends on the IO you get.  In our case I think had I not taken an interpreter we would have had to come back.  The rule is (although not always followed by the IO) that if your spouse is not fluent enough to

It was most definitely needed in our interview. Many questions from the G-325 and the I-485 from a fast talking IO.

Can your SO answer any question without your help?

My wife was angry at me the whole time waiting for the second AOS interview  because I didn't tell her about needing the interpreter the first time.  Bring one just in case.

142895[/snapback]

Thanks for the advice, when our time comes we will have an interpreter just so I am only able to be told I spend too much. :o

Tony is correct, just like the visa interview it depends on the IO you get.  In our case I think had I not taken an interpreter we would have had to come back.  The rule is (although not always followed by the IO) that if your spouse is not fluent enough to

It was most definitely needed in our interview. Many questions from the G-325 and the I-485 from a fast talking IO.

Can your SO answer any question without your help?

142888[/snapback]

Our IO was a nice guy, about 30 years old. He didn't ask too many questions, he asked how we met and how do we communicate. He asked my wife some questions that she had a hard time understanding. I didn't want to look too obvious in helping her but I did lead her along on some of the questions. The IO said nothing.

He asked for the I-693 and the I-864. It was all over with in about 15 minutes. He stamped her passport.

But if any of you feel that you need an interpreter, then don't hesitate to find one.