Need a Little Help here

I Cut and Pasted this over here so this guy wouldn't get lost in an old Thread :greenblob:

Dear muddy1112:

I'm not sure you can help, but my wife (a Chinese national from Shenzhen) and I (an American from WV) are currently in the P-3 stage, I suppose. We were married in January, 2005.

Zhen is currently completing the DS 230-Part I and I will send it off to NVC when I receive it.

I gather the future paperwork and timeline looks something like this: after we send off the DS 230, etc., they send us the P-4 stuff. Then, after Zhen gathers and sends off the documenation she is required to provide, and has her medical exam, an interview may be scheduled in Guangzhou.

Then the interview and, hopefully, the visa. I have completed the Affidavit of Support, and believe it has been approved (I earn well above 125% of the poverty level, and they have my W-2's).

My questions are:

1. Is there a big problem if Zhen has been moving a lot over the last 4 months? She was studying in Beijing for a month; then moved to Tonghua for a couple of months (to be nearer our daughter), and is now planning to move back to Beijing for a while. She is origionally from Shenzhen, and would probably use it as a base of operations for the interview.

Specifically, will she have troubles getting police records, etc.? Will they frown on what they may see as an itinerate life?

2. If we are already married is it likely my being there for her interview would make a significant difference? I read (on this site) about all kinds of questions regarding our communication with each other, etc., and the seemingly paranoid belief on the part of US Consulate officials that the Chinese woman is exploiting the American man, etc.

Zhen speaks little English, and my Chinese is really a beginner's level, but we do quite well with our particular mixture of the two. And we have been married (and quite hopelessly in love) for seven months. I've been to China twice to be with her.

I would actually find any question regarding our committment to each other insulting.

Do you have any suggestions about how to get the completed DS 230's and passport page copy back to me from China? FedEx? FAX. Regular mail?

We first applied in early February, 2005. What would be an "average" time for the visa? By September or October? Longer than that?

Any information you can provide would be really appreciated. This entire process is such a waste of everyone's time and lives -- so many people involved in tragedy.

Wally

This post has been edited by shyaushu: Today, 11:44 AM

Guest blsqueaky

muddy, first, welcome to CFL, and Gene, thanks for getting him here.

I think that I can answer a couple of questions,

Yes, interview will be in GZ, and I think that the physical also, but if Zhen goes there, then it will take 3 days, but then again you can pay a little extra, and it will get done sooner.

Police Records, as far as I know, they are from her home town, case in point, my wife has been here for one year, on a K-3, we are going back to GZ for her IR-1 interview, and she has to get another plice certificate.

As far as being their for the interview, you will not be allowed in, but if there is a problem, then you are there, and you can take care of it.

As far as mail, I will leave this to others.

Again, welcome to CFL, and you will find a wealth of info here

Edited by blsqueaky (see edit history)

OP was SHYAUSHU :

1. There should not be a problem. She should first go to her home town where her ID is registered, called her "hokou". Ask for a police record for 'all of china'... She should get it and your done.

2. Your being present at the interview gives her emotional support and helps to deal with an issue like creating a video together easily. Don't take their interview questions as an insult.. they are 'fishing' for any issue they might take as a sign of something wrong. tell her to be confident and smile, and to answer honestly. She can do the interview in mandarin with a translator if needed. Some VOs might question this as a sign of commuication issues, but many are also not questioned.

To figure your time, add to the P3 date 120 days for the P4; or add about 155 days for an interview. These times might get faster after the consulate move, but this is the historical average.

best to you...

I Cut and Pasted this over here so this guy wouldn't get lost in an old Thread :wacko:

Dear muddy1112:

My questions are:

2. If we are already married is it likely my being there for her interview would make a significant difference?

I would actually find any question regarding our committment to each other insulting.

Wally

This post has been edited by shyaushu: Today, 11:44 AM

141598[/snapback]

Yes, welcome.

It is unlikely your presence, or absence, will make a significant difference in the short term outcome. However, it could make a big difference on how confident your wife is during the interview and how the VO perceives the relationship.

It seems to me that about 1/2 the people go to GUZ and are successful; The other 1/2 do not go there and are successful. I recall some statistics on this in the timeline section.

I suggest you consider any "question regarding..." from a VO for what the question is meant to question and that is "...is the relationship valid?" You know the answer to that, the VO does not. Therefore it is incumbent on you to help the VO reach the desired conclusion: "Yes, the relationship is valid." However, only your wife will hear these questions, you will not.

A lot of people speak little or no English, or Chinese, as the case may be. Most of them pass.

Edited by yuehan123 (see edit history)