hey, all just want to run this buy quick ... don't want to be missing anything critical.

all edith will need at her POE (... PDX) is her visa/passport, the brown envelope, and the x-ray tube, correct?

does the POE officer ever pull a fast one and ask for something obscure?

thanks

Ryan

ps - less than 3 days!!! woo hoo.... :P :D :D :D

hey, all just want to run this buy quick ... don't want to be missing anything critical.

all edith will need at her POE (... PDX) is her visa/passport, the brown envelope, and the x-ray tube, correct?

thanks

Ryan

ps - less than 3 days!!! woo hoo.... :D :D :D :D

140661[/snapback]

Hey Ryan,

Yep, that's all we had with us when we entered through MSP:

1. Passport with Visa

2. Completed I-94 (distributed by flight attendants on the plane)

3. Brown envelope

4. X-Ray

3. Completed Customs Declaration Form (also handed out on the plane)

- The Passport, visa and I-94 were presented to the immigration officer in the "Visitors" line.

- At MSP the brown evelope was presented to a second immigration officer in a little room off to the side after the first immigration officer finished stamping our passports.

- No one ever asked to see the X-ray

- The customs form was handed to a customs officer on the way out of baggage claim.

When we came in, we were carrying some packaged snacks from China (dried beef, spicy bamboo shoots, tofu...) some instant noodles, and a couple jars of spicy seasoning. We indicated on the customs form that we were carrying "food" and explained to the customs inspector what we had.

Our bags were screened and opened, and the agent thanked us for declaring the food but apologized that the instant noodles, beef and jars of spicy stuff would have to be trashed. Then a minute later as we were closing up our bags she decided only the beef was prohibitted and we got to keep the rest.

The point is, I would remind Edith to declare any food she's carrying. As we were opening our bags for the customs agent, an asian couple next to us was being told they would be fined for failing to declare some food they were carrying.

I thought the whole process was smooth, and the immigration officers were unexpectedly friendly and helpful.

Best of luck in keeping your sanity for the next three days!! ;)

Matt

thanks

Ryan

ps - less than 3 days!!! woo hoo.... ;) :D :D :D

140661[/snapback]

She might be prepared for a question or two. The IO at SFO tried to ask Jingwen a few questions about her "visit" to the US. I was with her and fielded them for her since she didn't speak much English - simple questions like "Do you understand that you must be married within 90 days or leave?"

What Frank said . . .

Our POE officer was friendly, looked through every single form in the brown envelope, ignored the tube with the X ray and also asked her if she was aware that she needed to get married within the 90 days.

We didn't declare any food but lo and behold, Amy is still pulling sealed packages of food that she brought from China out of one of her suitcases!! I didn't know about it so in this case, ignorance was bliss!

The local markets do have most of the same things she "imported" ;)

thanks

Ryan

ps - less than 3 days!!! woo hoo.... :D :D :D :D

140661[/snapback]

Hey Ryan,

Yep, that's all we had with us when we entered through MSP:

1. Passport with Visa

2. Completed I-94 (distributed by flight attendants on the plane)

3. Brown envelope

4. X-Ray

3. Completed Customs Declaration Form (also handed out on the plane)

- The Passport, visa and I-94 were presented to the immigration officer in the "Visitors" line.

- At MSP the brown evelope was presented to a second immigration officer in a little room off to the side after the first immigration officer finished stamping our passports.

- No one ever asked to see the X-ray

- The customs form was handed to a customs officer on the way out of baggage claim.

When we came in, we were carrying some packaged snacks from China (dried beef, spicy bamboo shoots, tofu...) some instant noodles, and a couple jars of spicy seasoning. We indicated on the customs form that we were carrying "food" and explained to the customs inspector what we had.

Our bags were screened and opened, and the agent thanked us for declaring the food but apologized that the instant noodles, beef and jars of spicy stuff would have to be trashed. Then a minute later as we were closing up our bags she decided only the beef was prohibitted and we got to keep the rest.

The point is, I would remind Edith to declare any food she's carrying. As we were opening our bags for the customs agent, an asian couple next to us was being told they would be fined for failing to declare some food they were carrying.

I thought the whole process was smooth, and the immigration officers were unexpectedly friendly and helpful.

Best of luck in keeping your sanity for the next three days!! :)

Matt

140683[/snapback]

hey matt thanks for the details.

i've heard that's it very important to declare food. i always have on my return trips, and usually get asked about it but it turns out to be no problem. once edith's mom gave me smoked pork and fish. they took the pork, but let me keep the fish. depending upon how the meat is packaged/sealed i believe they may even allow some pork into the us.

i'm just a little worried about some of the new stuff she is bringing in, a few clothes and her wedding dress, and also the ipod i gave her. i've read everything on the CBP website, and the way i read thing all this can be lumped into the "personal effects" category and should not be a problem.

thanks again.

ryan

Ryan, your understanding of personal effects is what I have found to be the case when traveling. If she were bringing household goods that were new she should declare them. She is only allowed $100 duty free, but it might be difficult to get that much stuff in suitcases if your SO negotiates like mine. :o