Visiting Mexico or Canada

what are the rules on visiting Mexico or Canada as a new CR-1 in USA?

Make sure you have the paperwork to be able to return before you go!

137197[/snapback]

what paperwork, specifically?

such as a multiple entry visa! If you don't have one, you will need to re-apply for the visa.

Someone else may be able to help you with AP, if that applies.

I just don't know, except that it is always easy to leave, but if you want to return, make sure you've done your homework.

To add to what Don said if she is CR1 she is finished and only waiting on a green card. She can come and go as she pleases. The issue is the country she is visiting. Canada for instance can be fussy if she doesn't have the green card yet. They may or may not accept the stamp in her passport. As I understand it though the green card for CR1 ususally comes in about a month once they enter the US.

many thanks to everyone, I visited the DOS site for AP, if I read it correctly, she can come and go, as long as she does not leave for more than 1 year.....

many thanks to everyone, I visited the DOS site for AP, if I read it correctly, she can come and go, as long as she does not leave for more than 1 year.....

137342[/snapback]

Hank,

Your timeline indicates I-130/CR-1. Your wife will get a "green" LPR card in the mail. Advanced Parole is appliciable to the "K" visas not the CR-1. acw

Mexico does not require an entry visa for LPR, now this should cover everyone except for the K-1 holders who would be required to have an entry visa as a citizen of the PRC prior to recieving their green card.

I would expect they would require the acutal green card in the case of a LPR, but I could be mistaken. Mexican POE's are not quite as rigid as in the US, but this could be a sticky situation that you would need to clarify with one of the Mexican consulates and it would be good to get this in writing if they tell you the stamps in your passport are all that is needed.

This would affect anyone who would desire to take a cruise that would stop at a Mexican port and might prevent your SO from being allowed to board the ship. The cruise line would be apologetic as they reminded you that you are responsible for all visa issues and then kept your money as you watch the ship sail without your SO.