Citizenship

Your spouse can travel more freely with an American passport. They aren't as vulnerable to anti immigration legislation, they can vote, they don't have to renew the green card every ten years, I am fuzzy on it but I believe there are some issues with them collecting social security survivor's benefits should you die.

Your spouse can travel more freely with an American passport.  They aren't as vulnerable to anti immigration legislation, they can vote, they don't have to renew the green card every ten years, I am fuzzy on it but I believe there are some issues with them collecting social security survivor's benefits should you die.

136686[/snapback]

and...

The I-864 becomes null and no longer applicable. :P

Your spouse can travel more freely with an American passport.  They aren't as vulnerable to anti immigration legislation, they can vote, they don't have to renew the green card every ten years, I am fuzzy on it but I believe there are some issues with them collecting social security survivor's benefits should you die.

136686[/snapback]

and...

The I-864 becomes null and no longer applicable. :P

136829[/snapback]

This is such great stuff, I did not know about being able to apply for citizenship so quickly, I thought it was 10 year wait!!!! Thanks for the info....

The citizenship thing has me wondering, especially for those who intend to return to China to live after retirement. Would there be a disadvantage by becoming a USC as far as benefits while living in China?

I have nothing against my SO becoming a USC and the choice will be hers to make. I’m just trying to look down the road to see what the pros and cons might be.

Too early yet for me to dive into the pros & cons and paperwork for U.S. citizenship but I think Carl has pointed out a few advantages and one I can think of would be that while traveling abroad, whether it be China or elsewhere, she will be protected under U.S. law.

The citizenship thing has me wondering, especially for those who intend to return to China to live after retirement. Would there be a disadvantage by becoming a USC as far as benefits while living in China?

I have nothing against my SO becoming a USC and the choice will be hers to make. I?m just trying to look down the road to see what the pros and cons might be.

137190[/snapback]

I started having this same exact thought..

If our SO became a USC, then they have to travel to China under the same requirements (limited time visa), yes?

I'm curious to hear more about this.. as this is one of my future desires....

This is such great stuff, I did not know about being able to apply for citizenship so quickly, I thought it was 10 year wait!!!! Thanks for the info....

To obtain U.S. citizenship, the person must apply for U.S. Citizenship. To qualify, the person must have had either 5 years of permanent residence, or have been married to a U.S. Citizen for at least 3 years from the time of entry to the U.S.

Citizenship is not automatic. It is optional and must be applied for at the district USCIS office.