Luggage weight limit

It has been three years since I last flew on airline. What is the weight limit allowable nowaday on international flight, specifically China Southern?

Also, do I need to get any special strap for my infant daughter as we'll be holding her for the long flight there and back?

Much thanks for your response!

I think that it is usually 20 KG for domestic, and 40 KG for international (At least on Chinese based airlines). For the metricly impaired, that's about 44/88 pounds. For American based airlines, I believe it's less. Usually it says on the back pages of the ticket (in the fine print).

It has been three years since I last flew on airline.  What is the weight limit allowable nowaday on international flight, specifically China Southern? 

Also, do I need to get any special strap for my infant daughter as we'll be holding her for the long flight there and back?

Much thanks for your response!

136578[/snapback]

I think it is 70 lbs per bag, but not sure on the total weight you are allowed, try calling the airline directly or go to their website, you shoud get the straight skinny from them.......

As to your daughter, I would suggest a carrier for her if she is an infant.... they buckle in the seats also

If you haven't bought your ticket yet you can insist that your travel agent (or whoever sells it to you) endorse the ticket for extra weight and even extra pieces of baggage. They have some flexibility to do this. You can make it a condition of buying from them.

They should have any required straps for your infant, but ...

be sure that your ticket seller (and maybe you back this up) informs the airline that you will have a "babe in arms". In some seating configurations there are actully bulkhead seats where an airline provided crib can be fastened. At a minimum you can ask that, if the flight is not full, they block the seat next to you so you have some extra room for the little one. I agree that it would be a good idea to bring a car seat and strap the baby in.

Ohh ... and if you sit next to me can I please hold her?? :huh:

If you haven't bought your ticket yet you can insist that your travel agent (or whoever sells it to you) endorse the ticket for extra weight and even extra pieces of baggage.  They have some flexibility to do this.  You can make it a condition of buying from them.

be sure that your ticket seller (and maybe you back this up) informs the airline that you will have a "babe in arms".  In some seating configurations there are actully bulkhead seats where an airline provided crib can be fastened.  At a minimum you can ask that, if the flight is not full, they block the seat next to you so you have some extra room for the little one.  I agree that it would be a good idea to bring a car seat and strap the baby in.

Ohh ... and if you sit next to me can I please hold her??  :huh:

136586[/snapback]

get in line..... holding an infant is such an honor and wonderful feeling.....

If you haven't bought your ticket yet you can insist that your travel agent (or whoever sells it to you) endorse the ticket for extra weight and even extra pieces of baggage.  They have some flexibility to do this.  You can make it a condition of buying from them.

be sure that your ticket seller (and maybe you back this up) informs the airline that you will have a "babe in arms".  In some seating configurations there are actully bulkhead seats where an airline provided crib can be fastened.  At a minimum you can ask that, if the flight is not full, they block the seat next to you so you have some extra room for the little one.  I agree that it would be a good idea to bring a car seat and strap the baby in.

Ohh ... and if you sit next to me can I please hold her??  :huh:

136586[/snapback]

Thank you very much for all of your responses so far. We already purchased the tickets and the agent knew about our infant daughter. They charged her 10% of adult ticket! As for car seat, it would be too troublesome to carry that thing around while dragging our luguages at the same time. My wife insists on taking two big luguages each and a carry-on. I hope she'll grow a few arms so she can drag all those luguages! I don't see how we can manage all that along with our daughter.

To summarize what has been posted.

1. It is best to check with all airlines that you are using ( website or phone). There are differences between carriers.

2. If you are flying domestic, either in the US or China, the allowable weights are usally lower.

And my additional 2 cents:

3. Check the size of you bags, this is also limited. (l+w+h < 105 inch is typical), but may vary by carrier

4. US carriers are pretty stringent these days on checking and charging $ for bags that are overweight or oversize

Guest ShaQuaNew
To summarize what has been posted.

1. It is best to check with all airlines that you are using ( website or phone).  There are differences between carriers.

2. If you are flying domestic, either in the US or China, the allowable weights are usally lower.

And my additional 2 cents:

3. Check the size of you bags, this is also limited. (l+w+h < 105 inch is typical), but may vary by carrier

4. US carriers are pretty stringent these days on checking and charging $ for bags that are overweight or oversize

136694[/snapback]

You should call the airline to verify, but I found this on their website. Read below, or go to the site and read about mid-way through the page.

China Southern Baggage Information

BAGGAGE: Baggage refers to passenger's articles, effects and other personal property necessary or appropriate for wear, use, comfort or convenience in connection with their trip. Unless otherwise specified, this includes both checked and unchecked baggage.

FREE BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE: The free baggage allowance (including both checked

and unchecked baggage) is determined by the class of the ticket paid (but not by the class actually traveled).

Weight: For adults and the children who pay a certain percentage of the adult fare, the free baggage allowance is 40kg for First Class, 30kg for Business Class, and 20kg for Economy Class. The free baggage allowance for infants not entitled to a seat is 10kg, plus one checked or carry on fully collapsible stroller/pushchair or infant¡¯s carrying basket or infant¡¯s car seat which may be carried in the passenger cabin subject to the availability of space.

Piece: The piece concept applies to carriage to/from the United States or Canada. The free baggage allowance for adults (including the children) who are entitled to travel in First and Business Class is two pieces, for which the sum of the three dimensions must not exceed 158cm (62in.) for each piece. The free baggage allowance for passengers who are entitled to travel in Economy Class is two pieces, for which the sum of the three dimensions must not exceed 158cm (62in.) for each piece and the overall dimensions of the two pieces measured together must not exceed 273cm(107in.). The maximum weight of any piece of the checked baggage as set out above must not exceed 32kg. The free baggage allowance for infants not entitled to a seat is one checked bag (piece), the sum of the three dimensions not to exceed 115cm (45in.), plus one checked or carry on fully collapsible stroller/pushchair or infant¡¯s carrying basket or infant¡¯s car seat which may be carried in passenger cabin subject to the availability of space.

Any baggage in excess of baggage allowance by piece, dimension or weight will be charged accordingly.

China Southern Airlines recommends that items needing special care should not beincluded in checked baggage. These include but not limited to: currency; jewelry; precious metals; computers; personal electronic devices; negotiable papers; securities or other valuables; business documents; passports and other identification documents or samples, etc.

The Carrier's liability for the loss or damage of such articles in checked baggage is the same as other ordinary checked baggage.

For additional details, please refer to The Regulation To The Safety Inspection of China Civil Aviation.

UNCHECKED BAGGAGE: Unchecked baggage in which a passenger carries onto the aircraft must fit under the seat in front of the passenger or in an enclosed storage compartment within the cabin. The sum of the three dimensions of such unchecked bags must not exceed 115cm (45in.) and maximum weight must not exceed 5kg.

Passengers may carry on up to two bottles of soft drinks or bottled water - not to exceed 1,000 ml.

Objects not suitable for transportation in the cargo compartment (including fragile/delicate items) will only be accepted for transportation in the cabin compartment if due notice has be given in advance and permission granted by the Carrier. The transportation of such objects may be charged separately.

For more details of transporting special items (such as pets) please contact the Carrier in advance.

J & L

I just called China Southern last week. I was told 2 Checked bags up to 70lbs a piece. 1 carry on bag, and one laptop or purse. My domestic flight to lax is with United. Since the whole ticket is considered “International flight” they same rules apply. I called to confirm this.

I was told by the girl from united. “If your domestic carrier has an agreement with the international airline they accept the international carrier’s baggage allowance.”

Have fun in China

Jim

This is great information, thanks for asking the question, and thanks to all that contributed their knowledge...

Guest ShaQuaNew
Thank you so much you guys for your responses!  I am off to enjoy the heat and humidity of Nanning. :huh:

136758[/snapback]

You are indeed welcome. Where are you going from and to? How long you staying?

;)

I just called China Southern last week. I was told 2 Checked bags up to 70lbs a piece. 1 carry on bag, and one laptop or purse. My domestic flight to lax is with United. Since the whole ticket is considered “International flight” they same rules apply. I called to confirm this.

I was told by the girl from united. “If your domestic carrier has an agreement with the international airline they accept the international carrier’s baggage allowance.”

Have fun in China

Jim

136711[/snapback]

This is the case, but sometimes slight nuances like "If your domestic carrier ....." can cause problems. Is United Express operated by Air Wisconsin really United ??? There are also some clueless airline agents out there. I have traveled enough to see these type problems often occur. I just follow the most restrictive rules to avoid the hassle factor