AOS interview date!

We got our first AOS interview date Aug. 3 which is less than 4 months after filing! (I know it's unfair). We're both going overseas for my job in Sept. so this is excellent timing.

My wife's English everyone would say is "good" and she follows normal conversations, but we're concerned about what sorts of questions the interviewer will ask and if she will understand. I remember reading somewhere (probably here) that I am not allowed to help translate, is that true? Are the questions in this interview purely to verify that we have a legitimate relationship, or will there be some complicated questions asking things like has she ever been a member of the Nazi party between 1939 and 1945 (or whatever)? For example, if that very question were asked, she wouldn't know what "Nazi" means, and probably would not know that "party" in this case means political party. Certainly talking about our relationship: how we met, where we've traveled, where we got married, etc. is all no problem for her.

In the event that we do decide to have a translator on standby, does anyone know of any in the Buffalo, NY area who regularly do this sort of thing?

Thanks,

JJ

We took a transaltor (syls hubby was gracious enough to volunteer). the question were simple and even witha translator they let me help and I even answered a few of the questions for her. Others have said they don't go to extremes on this one. I'd say if you can find one easily and affordable bring one --if not-well the worst thing that they can do is make you come back!!

We took a translator and I am glad we did. Some of the questions asked were things like "have you ever been convicted of a crime, have you ever voted in an election, etc. The woman who interiewed us would not let me help my wife. Afterwards the woman explained a lot of legal stuff about the conditions of the green card my wife would not have understood. There have been reports of interiewing officers sending people home and telling them to come back with a translator at a later date if they didn't think their english was up to snuff. Technically the translator should not be an immediate relative although friends are quite acceptable. Go figure.

We took a translator and I am glad we did.  Some of the questions asked  were things like "have you ever been convicted of a crime, have you ever voted in an election, etc.  The woman who interiewed us would not let me help my wife.  Afterwards the woman explained a lot of legal stuff about the conditions of the green card my wife would  not have understood. There have been reports of interiewing officers sending people home and telling them to come back with a translator at a later date if they didn't think their english was up to snuff. Technically the translator should not be an immediate relative although friends are quite acceptable. Go figure.

135908[/snapback]

We had a woman the first and she won't let me help my wife. The second time we had a man and he was very nice. He lets my wife's sister to be the interpreter even though my wife didn't really need her. My wife was well-prepared the second time.