My latest e-mail to Asst. Sec. Harty

This is the latest e-mail and fax I have sent Asst. Sec. Harty. Again, this is not meant as a jab at Dan and Wenhua, and I have e-mailed him, assuring him that this is not personally directed at him. I am simply using his case for illustrative purposes only.

Dear Assistant Secretary Harty:

I awoke this morning to learn that my fiancee and I have once again been failed by the "system" in our efforts to obtain issuance of the K-1 visa which has already been approved in the above-referenced case, and has been awaiting issuance now for 178 days. I learned that another applicant's fiancee received notification from the Guangzhou Consulate today that her visa is ready to be picked up. This, despite the fact that his petition was approved by the INS exactly THREE MONTHS after mine. This, despite the fact that his fiancee interviewed nearly THREE MONTHS after mine. This, despite the fact that my fiancee and I have had to wait THREE MONTHS longer to obtain the same benefit from the U.S. government.

I also noted that his fiancee's namecheck was resubmitted nearly a week after my fiancee's, and that his was cleared ten days later. As I was informed this afternoon by the Department of State information line, after the obligatory thirty-five minutes on hold, my fiancee's namecheck is "still pending", a month after it was resubmitted. This, despite the fact that I was told by members of your staff to expect an additional delay of "two weeks" upon resubmission.

I have tried to be courteous and polite in my communications with you, members of your staff, and officials at the Guangzhou Consulate, but I do not understand how you, or ANYONE employed by the U.S. government who is in any way associated with, or has any control over the issuance of family-type visas at Guangzhou, can continue to allow those whose loved ones interviewed in July, August, and September of 2002 to be treated in such an unfair and unjust manner. Is it not enough that my fiancee and I, along with several others, were recently informed by Lisa Piascik that our clearances had been received in Guangzhou, and then told days later that the information we had been given was incorrect? Is it not enough that today marks ONE MONTH since my fiancee's name was resubmitted, and nearly NINE MONTHS since her name was originally submitted? How much more of this will we be expected to endure?

On behalf of all of those in the July, August, and September 2002 interview group who continue to wait for issuance of their ALREADY-APPROVED visas, I beg you to do whatever is in your power to correct this glaring and unconscionable injustice. We have waited long enough.