I-130 versus I-129F

You can see my time line here..... does it make sense for me to pursue the I-129f at this point? What are the advantages/disadvantages?

As quick as I-130's are being processed these days, you might be better off following thru what you have going now.

The I-130 approval used to take forever and I filed the I-129F as soon as I got the receipt notice on the I-130. Although both processes ran neck to neck, it was the K3 that was faster. Now things seem to be different. The Immigration process is moving well these days. You might want to stay with it. Just my humble opinion.

-good luck

You can see my time line here..... does it make sense for me to pursue the I-129f at this point? What are the advantages/disadvantages?

135016[/snapback]

Hankhoude -

Since your I-130's are already at NVC, there is no point to start I-129F. Your CR1 and CR2 will be in Guangzhou in about 8 to 12 weeks. Getting CR1 visa is much better because it's green card upon entry and SO can work immediately and the only adjustment is to change the temporary green card to the 10 year green card on your 2nd anniversary.

There are plenty of adjustments to make with K3/K4 visas after laopo and stepdaughter arrived in US.

CR1/CR2 are better visas to enter US, and you are already half way in the process.

You can see my time line here..... does it make sense for me to pursue the I-129f at this point?   What are the advantages/disadvantages?

135016[/snapback]

Hankhoude -

Since your I-130's are already at NVC, there is no point to start I-129F. Your CR1 and CR2 will be in Guangzhou in about 8 to 12 weeks. Getting CR1 visa is much better because it's green card upon entry and SO can work immediately and the only adjustment is to change the temporary green card to the 10 year green card on your 2nd anniversary.

There are plenty of adjustments to make with K3/K4 visas after laopo and stepdaughter arrived in US.

CR1/CR2 are better visas to enter US, and you are already half way in the process.

135088[/snapback]

Thanks for all the great information and encouragement from all... I feel so fortunate to have discovered this website.......

The immediate green card is why Ying and I decided to go the CR-1 route. And from what I have read you will have to pay the fee for the I-130, then if you file an I-129 you have to pay another fee. I did not see the benifit of paying twice. Also I was told that once the I-130 is approved an I-129 becomes null and void, so to file it is just a waste of money.

The immediate green card is why Ying and I decided to go the CR-1 route.  And from what I have read you will have to pay the fee for the I-130, then if you file an I-129 you have to pay another fee.  I did not see the benifit of paying twice.  Also I was told that once the I-130 is approved an I-129 becomes null and void, so to file it is just a waste of money.

135111[/snapback]

Thanks for the advice... it isn't the money so much as getting this process completed in fastest method..... I really appreciate everyones insight and suggestions.....

At one time, the I-129F for K3/4 visa was the way to go for USC's. It still is the way to go for LPR's petitioning for family members who unlike the famliy members of USC's, have to wait for years for a visa number. That was the reason behind creating the K3/4 visa. Since USC's were petitioning using the I-130, they too had the option to petition for a K3/4 and at one time, that was the way to go!

The I-129F was not voided out by the I-130 unless the I-130 reached the IV issuing post first. That used to not happen as far as GZ is concerned. In most cases, it was the I-129F to reach post first to proceed with the K3/4 visa. If the I-130 reached post while the K3/4 process was still going on, the petitioner/beneficiary had the option to either continue with the K3/4 proceedings or abandon it for the IV.

As you are at NVC with BOTH petitions in about the same time- FORGET IT! (We got trapped w/ a late step child filing on the second I-130 but GUZ seemed to automatic cancel the K-3 when the wife's I-130 got to post).

In addition to receiving the "green card", and if elected- a SSN mailed to you, NOT having to do AOS, EAD, Biometrics etc. there MAY be another side benefit.

At least two states I have heard about will NOT start the clock counting on residency requirements for reduced (resident vs. NON resident OR international student) rates until in LPR status. acw

As you are at NVC with BOTH petitions in about the same time- FORGET IT! (We got trapped w/ a late step child filing on the second I-130 but GUZ seemed to automatic cancel the K-3 when the wife's I-130 got to post).

In addition to receiving the "green card", and if elected- a SSN mailed to you, NOT having to do AOS, EAD, Biometrics etc. there MAY be another side benefit.

At least two states I have heard about will NOT start the clock counting on residency requirements for reduced (resident vs. NON resident OR international student) rates until in LPR status. acw

135229[/snapback]

does the Green Card initiate the SSN process?