Filing a 129 without all evidence

I mentioned, in a response to another topic, that on Thursday my soon to be ex-wife tossed a legal bomb into a court hearing I was to have on Friday which would approve bifurcation of our divorce and guarentee me the divorce decree on July 29th, which is the minimum time in California. Despite her verbally agreeing to this weeks ago, her lawyer seized on a provision of law that allows her to force formal agreement (QDRO) on retirement plan division. According to my divorce lawyer this will take 6-8 weeks and therefore push my divorce decree out 4-6 weeks. She smugly observed, "It will take you a year to get a visa anyway ... what's two more months?" :wub:

In response to this situation a thoughtful CFLer suggested that I file the 129 right away without divorce documentation thus establishing my "place in line" for the eventual K1. I would then expect to get an RFE and by that time could immediately respond with the divorce decree.

Does anyone see a downside to this?

Do you know of anyone who has used a similar strategy?

On the I-129F 5(D) states: If either of you or your fiance(e) were married before, give copies of documents showing that each prior marriage was legally terminated. If it were me I would not file before I had everything that was required. Its hard enought for them to keep track of one file, I would not trust them to be able to marry the two together.

It seems to be more routine than I would of guess that people at VJ are getting RFEs for divorce papers. I don't suggest this in any way that you should do it, but I think that an RFE is common and the visa center knows how to get the document you send together with the correct file.

The only problem I see is if they recognize the divorce was not legal until a date AFTER the initial submission... and therefore might say you were ineligible at the submission.. and reject the application while at the visa center.

I too would advise against it. If we were to take it to the extreme, the USCIS would reject your I-129F outright because legally you are still married until you get the paperwork is in hand. The best thing is to play your soon to be ex's little game for now, then once the decree is issued you can gloat as you file the I-129F and then watch her stew and steam as you bring your new intended here. :D

My lawyer tried taking a shortcut with the 129F by mailing the app off to Chicago without the NOA1. "to reserve a place in line."

I got proof that the app was recieved, but they never cashed the check or ever replied to the app. (even after I inquired about it a month later.)

Thank you for your thoughtful replies.  We will just wait ... sigh ... :blink:

134770[/snapback]

You can always hope that the "big one" hits and your ex is on the fault line. Hopefully they could get you the documentation you need sooner. :lol:

134779[/snapback]

Yikes!! I'm not that angry! We've been married for 36 years. She just stopped listening maybe 15 years ago. Nothing I could do was enough. I hung in there until our youngest was ready for high school.

I finally left because I couldn't face spending the rest of my life being unhappy. Two months after I said we were getting divorced I met my Yuqin ... July 9 2004. My life has really changed, suddenly I'm looking forward to the future, my stress is actually down, I feel better, I've lost a little weight, and I'm crazy in love. Yuqin and I watched Bambi a few months ago and now she understands what I mean when I say I'm twitterpated. :lol:

Thank you for your thoughtful replies.  We will just wait ... sigh ... :blink:

134770[/snapback]

You can always hope that the "big one" hits and your ex is on the fault line. Hopefully they could get you the documentation you need sooner. :lol:

134779[/snapback]

I finally left because I couldn't face spending the rest of my life being unhappy. :lol:

134817[/snapback]

It's no way to live, life's too short. People get caught in the trap, you got out. Good for you, it sounds like you made a good descision. Can't knock anyone for wanting happiness. :lol:

Usually, QDRO's can be done post divorce as part of the settlement agreement where the parties agree to execute QDRO's within so many days after the divorce becomes final. I don't know if California is different in this regard.

I agree with most of the folks here and advise against filing the I-129F before the divorce is final. It would likely result in a flat out denial of the petition. I think it would be better to wait.