Notarizing Chinese Passports for Tax Ids

The Topic is Taxes.

My wife has read on 001 that Chinese must have their passports notarized by a US Consulate for submission of the US Taxes or (I think for submission with the IRS W-7 form. A Chinese notarization will not due.

Any experience with this? Suggestions?

my wife sent me her passport, and i made a notarized copy of it here.  That is what i sent with the w-7.

mark

133917[/snapback]

Aren't passports kind of a nation Id? or do the Chinese use something else?

How did you two transport the document? EMS?

Do you know if the US Consulates will make a notarized copy of a foreign passport?

China's passport is in English and Chinese. Notarization of passport is a verification that the passport does exist and is not a fake. US Consulate doesn't spend time to verify it or cross checks with the office that issues the passport, but merely write a statement that the original passport is seen.

Thanks Mark, Fred.

I sent her the information from you two guys, the completed PDF of the W-7s. She's going to take her chances at the US Consulate with the passports and send everything back to me.

As I understand it... I send those docs along as part of my re-filing of the 2004 Taxes to our friendly federal government.

What could go wrong? :whistling:

I hand carried my wife's PP to the US and had it notarized there @ The UPS Store for $3.00 (in essesence the same process as EMS or Fedexing it to US). Had to put a statement on paper something to the effect that HER passport was in my control for tax purposes and was an unaltered true original passport. Notary and I signed/dated the paper and she attached a copy. Notary here (in China) by the Embassy/Consulate is $30.00 for the first page and $20.00 for additional. Also I question whether they will allow her into the ACS section to do this as a "Chinese" national. I have NEVER been able to get my wife into the Shanghai consulate. Then file the W-7 (with HER signature) and ORIGINAL tax filing to the proper place in Pa.- not your regional IRS center. acw

Thanks for all of the good advice.

She's convinced that she can go have this done in Beijing because someone on 001 said so. So it is pointless to say otherwise. I did email her today with a warning to call first. Given the events of this day I said that she may not be allowed inside.