Newbie - many questions

Hi, I am Hank, a newbie, I am so unsure of the process.

I have received a request for a payment to the NVC regarding the I-864, I had attached this to the I-130 initially, now I am being told that after they receive the fee, they will send this to me??? don't they look at the documents they have?

I live in northern Virginia, and my wife lives in Shanghai.

I-797C NOA Receipt number issued from Vermont Center - 04-12-05

AOS Fee request from NVC for processing I-864 - 06-20-05

AOS Fee Money Order sent on - 06-25-05

HELP

More to follow.....

If you look through the threads here you will see that there is no rhyme nor reason to what GUZ will ask for. Best is just go with the flow. After all they issue visas not you.

Have you heard this song.

Whatever Lola Wants

Whatever Lola wants, Lola gets

And little man, little Lola wants you

Make up your mind to have, no regrets

Recline yourself, resign yourself you're through

I always get, what I aim for

And your heart and soul, is what I came for.

Whatever Lola wants, Lola gets

No use to fight, Don't you know you can't win

You're no exception to the rule,

I'm irrezeestable you fool, Give in

.... Give in

Yup just give in and it will go easier. In the mean time read up on things here. See what others have been through and learn the regs. That is so you will know what to do on the outside chance GUZ gets nasty.

Hello Hank and welcome to CFL

I assume your I-130 petition has already been approved by CIS and sent to NVC for further processing.

After CIS approval, NVC will send you the I-864 fee bill. Once NVC receives payment, they will send you the I-864 along with a barcode sheet and other papers. Follow their instructions. After you send the I-864 back to them, they will send out the immigration fee bill. After that has been paid, then comes the DS-230 (P3). Somewhere in the process of all that paper shuffling, you will also get the DS-3032 form. That form is free!...B)

Happy trails!

Hank,

I included I-864 and DS-230 with my I-130 petitions. They were not accepted by NVC, and I had to fill out another one when NVC requested them. You will also receive IV (immigrant visa) fee bill for $370.

Here is a way to help speed up the process. It's from VisaJourney, and you need to read the instructions carefully. It is primarily to create the cover letters that accompany the I-864 and DS-230 forms. The cover letters contain bar codes of you case number (Case number for China starts with the letters GUZ followed by the numbers). I think that's how NVC keeps track of the receipts of the documents, and entered into NVC's computer system. The link will guide you how to self generate the cover letters. You can send each one (I-864 and DS-230) after you sent each fee bill. No need to wait for the I-864 adn DS-230 to arrive in your mailbox or for their "generation" and "mailed out" by NVC. I noticed a few in VisaJourney who did not wait and they went through without a glitch.

DS-3032 is usually the first document sent out by NVC. I assume you received it. If not, you can take care the DS-3032 as per the link below.

Look for "James's NVC Shortcuts" in this link, about the third page.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...45entry373127

The I-864 form will require Authorization for Release of Federal Tax Data.

----------------------------------

I-864

Once the NVC system shows that it has received your AOS fee, it will generate the AOS/I-864 itself. (This may take anywhere from up to a month after you send the fee in.) As soon as it does, you should send in the I-864 package you have already prepared.

You should have already completed the downloadable version of Form I-864 and accumulated the supporting documents pursuant to the instructions that come with the I-864 and the NVC-generated I-864 instructions.

(Note that what you send to the NVC with the I-864 depends upon your financial situation. Also, you may need to send in an additional I-864 from a joint sponsor, and/or an I-864A contract from a household member. We're assuming here that for the past three years, you have had -- and still have -- a regular job making over 125% of the poverty level and can prove it.)

In addition to the I-864, you must generate and fill out an Authorization for Release of Federal Tax Data. Download the MS Word copy of the Authorization for Release of Federal Tax Data. Under the barcode, type in your case number. At the bottom of the page, replace "XXX City" with the name of the city in which the embassy interview will take place (i.e., the "post" in Department of State parlance).

Next, replace the sample barcode in the Authorization with one generated at http://www.idautomation.com/java/linearservlet.html. Under "Barcode symbology," select CODE 39. Select "No" for the "Add check digit," "Add check digit to text," and "Show text below barcode" options. Change the "X dimension" (bar width) to 0.05 and the "Barcode bar height" to 0.5. Click on "Create Barcode." In the resulting window, right click on the generated barcode and left click on Copy. Go to the Word copy of the Authorization, select the original barcode, and hit the Delete key. Then click on Paste under the Edit menu (or hit Ctrl + V on the keyboard). The barcode you generated should be in the exact same place as the original one you deleted.

Finally, you will need the I-864 coversheet. Download the MS Word copy of the I-864 coversheet. Change the XXX1234567890 at the bottom to your case number, then go generate the barcode at http://www.idautomation.com/java/linearservlet.html.

To generate the barcode and put it in the sample coversheet, type in the case number under "Data to encode." Under "Barcode symbology," select CODE 39. Select "No" for the "Add check digit," "Add check digit to text," and "Show text below barcode" options. Change the "X dimension" (bar width) to 0.07 and the "Barcode bar height" to 0.7. Click on "Create Barcode."

In the resulting window, right click on the barcode and click on Copy. Then go to the MS Word copy of the I-864 coversheet, select the old barcode that's already there and hit the Delete key. Then click on Paste under the Edit menu (or hit Ctrl + V on the keyboard). You then need to further adjust the size of the barcode by right-clicking on it and clicking on "Format Picture." Then click on the "Size" tab. De-select "Lock aspect ratio" and change the height to 0.4" and the width to 3.45". Click on "OK."

You should include a cover letter with the I-864 package. With the cover letter, the order recommended by the NVC for the documents in the I-864 package is:

* Cover letter

* Barcoded cover sheet

* I-864

* Authorization for Release of Federal Tax Data

* Copy of tax returns from last three years along with copies of W2s

* Letter of employment

* Last three pay stubs

Write your case number in the upper right-hand corner of each page. Send the package to the NVC address listed on the barcoded coversheet.

The DS-230 will also require GUZ Special Form P3. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?download=53

DS-230

After your DS-3032 is received by NVC, the IV (Immigrant Visa) fee bill will be generated. Unfortunately, because NVC generates an apparently random transaction number and puts it after the case number in the barcode on the IV fee bill, it is not possible to send in the IV fee bill as soon as NVC generates it -- you will have to use the one NVC sends you. Once you do receive it and send in the fee, NVC will eventually generate the DS-230 -- the actual immigrant visa application itself. As soon as you find out that the DS-230 has been generated, you should send in the copy you already have prepared.

Well before your DS-230 is generated, your spouse should download, fill out, and sign the downloadable version of the DS-230. (Generally, your spouse will only need to fill out and sign part I because he or she will be sent part II by the embassy when the interview appointment is given. However, if your spouse is from a country for which NVC arranges the interview, your spouse should also fill out and sign part II. This DS-230 "tip" is for those who only have to send in a DS-230 Part I. You should find out from a VJ member whose spouse is from the same country as yours exactly what is required.)

You will need to attach the coversheet to the completed DS-230 Part I before sending it in. Download the MS Word copy of the DS-230 Part I coversheet. Change the XXX1234567890 at the bottom to your case number, then go generate the barcode at http://www.idautomation.com/java/linearservlet.html.

To generate the barcode and put it in the sample coversheet, type in the case number under "Data to encode." Under "Barcode symbology," select CODE 39. Select "No" for the "Add check digit," "Add check digit to text," and "Show text below barcode" options. Change the "X dimension" (bar width) to 0.07 and the "Barcode bar height" to 0.7. Click on "Create Barcode."

In the resulting window, right click on the barcode and click on Copy. Then go to the MS Word copy of the DS-230 Part I coversheet, select the old barcode that's already there and hit the Delete key. Then click on Paste under the Edit menu (or hit Ctrl + V on the keyboard). You then need to further adjust the size of the barcode by right-clicking on it and clicking on "Format Picture." Then click on the "Size" tab. De-select "Lock aspect ratio" and change the height to 0.4" and the width to 3.45". Click on "OK."

Generally, the only thing you will have to include beyond the DS-230 Part I and the cover sheet is a simple (i.e., not notarized) photocopy of the biographical information page from your spouse's passport. (Again, you should find out from a VJ member whose spouse is from the same country as yours exactly what you have to send in with the DS-230 Part I.) Send all of these things to the NVC address listed on the barcoded DS-230 Part I cover sheet.