China Visa application...DoS explaination

DOS Visa Office explains why it takes longer time to process P. R. China's visa applications

Posted by Jeff Xie on October 03, 2002 at 21:40:26

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AILA (American Immigration Lawyers Association)asks: "Members observe an increase in the frequency of lengthy “administrative processing” for NIV applicants from the PRC, where there is no TAL issue (e.g., an L-1A for the manager of a coffee company). Are natives and citizens of the PRC now subject to Special Processing Requirements?"

US Department of State Visa Office responded: "Processing requirements for Chinese applicants have not changed. However, some applicants from China have always been subject to clearances (e.g., immigrant visa applicants). In general, most clearances are taking longer to process now than they did before September 11, 2001. "

Excerpt From AILA InfoNet at Doc. No. 02100340 (Oct. 3, 2002)

DOS Visa Office explains why it takes longer time to process P. R. China's visa applications

Posted by Jeff Xie on October 03, 2002 at 21:40:26

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AILA (American Immigration Lawyers Association)asks: "Members observe an increase in the frequency of lengthy “administrative processing” for NIV applicants from the PRC, where there is no TAL issue (e.g., an L-1A for the manager of a coffee company). Are natives and citizens of the PRC now subject to Special Processing Requirements?"

Note for the reader

TAL= Technology Alert list..... they want to make sure the sweeties don't work at a China nuclear lab and marry you just to get the good ol' american stuff... And I agree...

I keep hearing "nothing has changed" So what I am guessing is they were not doing what the laws said before Aug1st????

well. That's DoS Public release stuff.. Who said there is not any Dos-eyes only things? :lol:

Near as I can figure out, there always was a SAO required. If a response was not received within 10 days, consulates were allowed to issue the visa. Remember the 200 or so issued that DOS had to recall? What happened was DOS changed the 10-day no response to positive response only and sit and wait until it was received. They weren't equipped to handle the workload. SNAFU. Thank God it looks like it is starting to move again.

-Don H

actually, no. A SAO is initiated by foreign posts to ,, NOT DoS.. But I'm pretty sure SAO's are always requested by China's posts as a matter of routine..

Don,

Huh? ;)  :lol:  :D

yes... I second this.. HUH??? :D

Regardless, we don't make policies.... we got to get a hi-powered job at DoS to do that .. But it does helps to understand...At least, it occupies our numb minds..

Bottom line.. China/ russia / TAL countries are subject to extra clearances, even for our lovely innocent sweeties...We have to live with that.. I take extra SAO's on my China tianxin over no SAO on my former french ex-wife.. LOL

Don,

Huh? ;)  :lol:  ;)

Jim, you picking on me again?

I remember back in August and September just after the #$#$@ hit the fan. Spent a lot of time researching the FAM and DOS cables and all the stuff on FOIA. It took a while, but I was finally able to put some of the pieces together that would explain what was going on. Is it the real answer? How the heck do I know. But it fit the scenario. So....

Settle down, you'll get yours!

Eric, can't tell you what I would trade but I'd walk funny for a while.

-Don H

Don..

Relax.. Jim has been on my case too..

Relax.. and NO, I do not want to know what you would trade for..you can walk funny. I JUST don't want to know..

Jim: Don't answer that :-) :P