sending money with western union

I have done some research in past threads of using Western Union.. clearly it is used by many on CFL. I only found one person who made a comment about the SOs name, and it seems more would comment about this if what I read is the case (sorry, cannot quote it now.. don't want to search it again).

The comment said that one should list the SOs name in the english manner: "Given name {space} Family Name", since the WU computers will flip it around for a chinese name to their customary order of "Family Name {space} Given Name".

If the SOs name is not in the right order, they will not allow the person to pick it up.

Since my SO would have to go by train one hour to Beijing for a pickup point, I prefer to get this right the first time....

Which way should the name given to WU for the SO?

i'm sorry i can't help you specifically, but I have bought airline tickets (and the way the name is written is very strict) for my SO, and it was always GIVEN NAME followed by FAMILY NAME (the reverse of her Chinese). That is also how she has filled out all of her forms when she opened bank accounts in Australia and Norway, so the bank recognizes that order.

I don't know of any official policy though, so I can only tell you based on my fiancee's experiences.

i'm sorry i can't help you specifically, but I have bought airline tickets (and the way the name is written is very strict) for my SO, and it was always GIVEN NAME followed by FAMILY NAME (the reverse of her Chinese).  That is also how she has filled out all of her forms when she opened bank accounts in Australia and Norway, so the bank recognizes that order.

I don't know of any official policy though, so I can only tell you based on my fiancee's experiences.

thanks for confusing the matter ! :blink: :lol: :blink:

I have only used the on-line WU transfer (several times). I use given name where first name is requested, family name where last name is requested. I have sent money to both Yue and her sister. Both her sister's names are identical in pinyin. We have never had a problem. They need the Money Transfer Number, the amount in USD and the sender.

David,

I have used Western Union before to send money to my wife (then fiancee) in China. Now we use it every two months to send her father and mother money.

Never had any problems. We list the name just as it asks for it. First or Given Name and then Family or Last Name.

It must be this way as they will match it up to the name that appears on the persons ID. They can use either China ID or Passport to pick it up.

I have only used the on-line WU transfer (several times).  I use given name where first name is requested, family name where last name is requested.  I have sent money to both Yue and her sister.  Both her sister's names are identical in pinyin.  We have never had a problem.  They need the Money Transfer Number, the amount in USD and the sender.

You save money by going into the Western Union location. They have them here at Safeway and Fred Meyer. The charge online is outrageous compared to the charge when made in person.

The other thing you can not do online is request they pay out in US dollars. Your SO will get more money if WU pays out US dollars. Price gouging comes to mine when I think of the exchange rate WU gets when they pay out RMB.

You save money by going into the Western Union location. They have them here at Safeway and Fred Meyer. The charge online is outrageous compared to the charge when made in person.

The other thing you can not do online is request they pay out in US dollars. Your SO will get more money if WU pays out US dollars. Price gouging comes to mine when I think of the exchange rate WU gets when they pay out RMB.

Yes, you can get the better rate from the grocery store. We might try that in the future. My only experience is online. I like it because it is quick and dirty. I even used it to send money from China (when I was there) to China.

I don't know why anyone would want payout in USD (I though is was the recipient's option), unless they intended to exchange on the black market. Can't spend USD there. WU reports the big bank rate for exchange but notes the market there may differ. I do know that BOC will cream you for trying to exchange actual Federal Reserve Notes in Beihai. I think it is a logistical issue. Better off with traveler's cheques (hassle) or the ATM card. Big bank rates there also.

Yes, you can get the better rate from the grocery store. We might try that in the future. My only experience is online. I like it because it is quick and dirty. I even used it to send money from China (when I was there) to China.

I don't know why anyone would want payout in USD (I though is was the recipient's option), unless they intended to exchange on the black market. Can't spend USD there. WU reports the big bank rate for exchange but notes the market there may differ. I do know that BOC will cream you for trying to exchange actual Federal Reserve Notes in Beihai. I think it is a logistical issue. Better off with traveler's cheques (hassle) or the ATM card. Big bank rates there also.

In past threads, most everyone recommends USD because WU will have a poor exchange rate .. and the SOs bank will give a better rate... I'll ask her what she wants, and follow the maxim , "she likes, I like" !! :lol:

i'm sorry i can't help you specifically, but I have bought airline tickets (and the way the name is written is very strict) for my SO, and it was always GIVEN NAME followed by FAMILY NAME (the reverse of her Chinese).  That is also how she has filled out all of her forms when she opened bank accounts in Australia and Norway, so the bank recognizes that order.

thanks for confusing the matter ! :redblob: :redblob: :lol:

hmm, not sure if my last post was confusing, but i was just trying to confirm that my fiancee has used "GIVEN NAME <space> FAMILY NAME" in all cases, including airline tickets and opening bank accounts. THis agrees with what you suggested in your first post, and everyone else's experiences on this thread, so i'm guessing that you should be fine writing her name like that. :)

c4-racer has it right. Fill it out just like it asks. He is also correct that it is cheaper to go to a grocery store type location to send the money. My wife always preferred to get the pay out in dollars. She could get a better exchange rate elsewhere. The only thing I can add is to give her the MTC number (money transfer control number) off the receipt to give them when she picks it up.

i'm sorry i can't help you specifically, but I have bought airline tickets (and the way the name is written is very strict) for my SO, and it was always GIVEN NAME followed by FAMILY NAME (the reverse of her Chinese).  That is also how she has filled out all of her forms when she opened bank accounts in Australia and Norway, so the bank recognizes that order.

thanks for confusing the matter ! :redblob: :redblob: :lol:

hmm, not sure if my last post was confusing, but i was just trying to confirm that my fiancee has used "GIVEN NAME <space> FAMILY NAME" in all cases, including airline tickets and opening bank accounts. THis agrees with what you suggested in your first post, and everyone else's experiences on this thread, so i'm guessing that you should be fine writing her name like that. :)

I understood what you are saying, but the fact that they pickup in China suggests to me that they need the name as the chinese expect it... but the bottom line seems to suggest to ensure Given/first name and family/last name are simply provided in the correct spot.

my original post mentioned that someone suggests the WU computer will reverse the name order for china.. but nobody has yet confirmed that... and maybe it's moot.

c4-racer has it right.  Fill it out just like it asks.  He is also correct that it is cheaper to go to a grocery store type location to send the money.  My wife always preferred to get the pay out in dollars.  She could get a better exchange rate elsewhere.  The only thing I can add is to give her the MTC number (money transfer control number) off the receipt to give them when she picks it up.

So, avoid the online method (expensive), send in USD, and give MTC number.

Anyone call WU instead of going to the store, any restrictions?

Guest DragonFlower

In China,It is easy to make U S dollars to RMB.It is not so easy to make RMB into US dollars.You can put money in a U S dollar savings account that pays more interest than an equivalent RMB savings account.Some WU agents in China will not pay out in dollars,so this option may or may not be available in all locations.My wife is at her parents this summer,it is a 1 hour busride to get to a WU agent,in a bigger town.

Scrutinize your paperwork very carefully before leaving the WU agent,make sure everything is correct on the printout.Several times the clerk at the grocery stores have made typos.Causing much teeth gnashing.

long