A question that hs never been asked?

A good example of why a K-1 is not for a 90 day trial marriage. You are supposed to be sure of your relationship before filing.

I agree with you Carl but yet the US Government treats K1 visas with more favor than K3 or IR/CR-1 if you use timelines as the basis for "more favorable". I have never understood this.

both sides have a point:

Favor K1: They see how it "turns out". The problem is that DOS wants to grant a visa based on reality while a K1 can be filled with "what ifs".

The moral of the story is: Don't file unless your sure.

Favor CR1: This is an immigrant visa, so no "turns out" or "what ifs" are normally in the mix... I said 'normally' B)

The moral of the story is: Many are not sure

• 3 weeks later...

For our case I just did not feel comfortable getting married in China and then risking the process, so a K1 was the only way I wanted to go.

Couldn't imagine being legally married and separated for 1+ years waiting for a visa not counting trips I made to visit or to have her former party membership or some other issue happen during the wait to prevent her from entering the US.

Another bonus for me was we were committed to each other and had the time to know each other even better during the long wait for the K1.

I disliked the 90 days limit. We had very little time to prepare for our wedding, adjust to living together, getting her used to changes to being in the US, meeting family and friends in person, etc., before we were married.