Medical insurance

I haven't had insurance for a year or so and am in the process of signing up. I remember reading somewhere here the difficulties of getting our new SO's signed up. I was told by an agent yesterday that for most insurance companies, immigrants must be here 3 yrs before the qualify.

What are your experiences?

I would think that it depends on the carrier/plan. Pre-existing conditions are generally a thing of the past with employer-based plans, which is where they might be 'catching' some of the immigrants, so to speak (unknown/possibly difficult to verify medical history). If you're self-employed or self-insured, I could see this possibility...might want to shop around.

I shopped around and got different answers. One company said "sorry, no way. The next said she needed a SS#. The third sent the forms to sign her up, but I haven't heard from them since I sent the paperwork back.

I'm pretty sure my employer's insurance would put her on.....if I wanted to pay half my weekly salary for my share of the premiums. <_<

You might want to look into a company called IMG.

They specialize in health insurance for immigrants

I have full coverage with 1000 dollar deductible at 144 dollars a month for my wife. The policy was written about a week before she arrived and went into affect when she got here.

You can check them out at www.imglobal.com

Ken

<_<

After we got married,  I had no problem adding my wife to my company plan.

Same here. And, she was added without having received her SSN yet.

And ditto here too ... I had no problems whatsoever signing her up to my company health plan about 2 weeks after we got married - even without a SSN. I just wrote her name down on the form together with DOB and date of marriage, and that's about it. Two days later she was offically on the health plan.

• 2 weeks later...
You guys have a company med insurance plan? :D  B)  :(

134499[/snapback]

yes, I have a plan, but they make you pay so much now a days, I could buy a car... Still, I know it beats the alternative

134513[/snapback]

After arriving here for 6 months, my wife had a lump removed. Luckily, I had just signed her up for medical insurance.