Name Check Delay - No Help From Senator

Received a phone call today from Calif. Senator Feinstein's office, and it was as bad or worse than the absurd letter I received from them a couple of weeks ago.

I had written to Feinstein to ask for help breaking the name check deadlock in which my SO and I find ourselves. Our name check is now approaching nine months. It's almost 15 months since I submitted the I-129f. I have telephoned and/or emailed DOS, GZ, CIS and have received the same reply over and over: "Name check incomplete, you'll get an interview date when it's complete." In other words, don't call us, we'll call you.

I wrote a detailed letter to Feinstein. The letter I received back just dropped my jaw. It said: "Name check incomplete, you'll get an interview date when it's complete."

I wrote a second letter to Feinstein's office, politely expressing my dismay to hear the same words parroted back to me and asking for some real help in expediting the name check.

Today, I received a phone call from Feinstein's office. I felt like I was talking to one of the many I've talked to at GZ and DOS. Unbelievably, this assistant in Feinstein's office told me that there is NOTHING that can be done to expedite the name check, that a nine month wait is NOT unusual and blah-blah-blah.

I asked why this might be the case, why others (judging by the timelines here at CFL) have gone through the whole process much more quickly. The assistant told me she doesn't believe the timelines I gave her, that she sees many cases - from China, Russia, Pakistan, etc., and they all take this much time. She actually said there are a lot of spies from China, so there's extra caution. And blah-blah-blah.

I had mentioned in my second letter that I know of other cases where a senator was asked to intervene, and that the case was pried loose within a few weeks. This assistant had the audacity to tell me she didn't believe it, that it was pure coincidence, and that I should give her the names and case numbers so she can verify it.

I asked if there were anyone in a more senior position who could help. She said, no. I asked, "So, there's actually no one anywhere on the planet who can do anything about this, and we just have to wait forever and have no recourse?" She said, "That's right."

I really did my best to keep from simply telling her to go to hell. But, polite chap that I am, I simply thanked her and hung up.

So ... now what? I honestly don't think that my other senator (Boxer) or my congressman will do any more or any better. But is it worth writing to them? I'm really running out of ideas here. I will persist, but it's obvious that this particular senator's office is useless. I won't waste my time with them.

Anyone have any ideas? Experiences to share?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we are same, my namecheck has been 10 months already, my fiance tried all way to contact NVC, FBI, DOS; and mailed 2 senators and a local congressman, they gave us same response---- wait!!!

we have no idea either, anyone can help us?

we are same, my namecheck has been 10 months already, my fiance tried all way to contact NVC, FBI, DOS; and mailed 2 senators and a local congressman, they gave us same response---- wait!!!

we have no idea either, anyone can help us?

A few people here have obtained genuine help from their senators, but I'm beginning to think they were very lucky. I think we have to persist and keep communicating.

Can you post your timeline? When did GZ log in your P3? What state are you in?

Maybe we can help each other - even if it's only with some moral/emotional support.

the question I get in these issues is which is better: to pursue senators and the like or a lawyer. Seems the former has provided some help to a few in the past, simply because if they are willing to help they pick up a phone and start making calls, whereas a lawyer usually does not do this (?)... do they have connections to make calls to the senator any better?

Unfortunately, there's really not much you can do if your elected reps won't get behind you. California doesn't seem to have much of a response from their senators for the last few years.

In my case, both Oregon senators were worthless at doing anything although

My congresswoman's immigration aide did do something - he called me a couple months after Xiahong was here to tell me the interview had been scheduled. I simply thanked him for his effort.  :blink:

Zingaro,

I wanted to say this myself (and on your prior post too). Bit my tongue until it bled and needed stiches. Don is a little more diplomatic than I. I am NOT a fan of Boxer either. I've seen many people that have posted similar results at VJ about both CA Senators. I don't know if it's them (view's on immigration), laison's too busy, their being Democrats in a Republican admin. or not being on the right commitee. I would attempt to contact my CA Congressperson and hope for better results.

Like Don, years ago, I had one CA Senator send me a letter 3 months AFTER my step-daughter HAD ARRIVED! The other never responded. I. in the mean time, wrote to Sen. Edward Kennedy's office and it took them just 8 days to get the visa. acw

Maybe we can help each other - even if it's only with some moral/emotional support.

my fiance is in Texas, our case is still in America, has not sent to Guangzhou, China yet, so I have not received my P3

Just a wild guess. Maybe the CA reps are overloaded with immigration related requests. Maybe more immigrants wnat to go to CA than say IL.

Maybe your case needs to cut from the herd, make them aware it is different - a problem that needs attention ?

If I knew how to do that, I would probably be wealthy. Just my ideas, wish you good luck

The senators from Massachusetts didn't even wrote back to me.

Don't get me wrong. I am not surprised that our servants are not serving us.

These namecheck delays are tragic and seem to be out of the mainstream.

Everyone guards their privacy. I hate to ask , but are all the cards on the table ? Nothing is held back - there are no situations with family members, relatives that might be a factor ?

I bring this up becuase I have seen some examples on another forum where someone has a problem, then later comes forward with a key detail that has not been shared.

Seems that the common issue in regards to long name checks is the name itself is too common... There have been an issue or two that got quick resolution of name checks once a willing congressman/senator office was willing to help... or GUZ was forced to admit they made a clerical error ... :blink:

I'd keep looking for someone willing to help.

my fiance is in Texas, our case is still in America, has not sent to Guangzhou, China yet, so I have not received my P3

First, welcome to CFL! You (and your fiance) will find a lot of good information, good people and much support here. I recommend that your fiance in Texas should join in here, also, since he (or she) has to prepare a lot of paperwork for you.

If you haven't yet received your P3, then you are probably not yet at the "second name check" stage of the process. But ten months is a long time to wait for the P3.

Has your fiance sent email to Guanzhou? Has your fiance telephoned the Department of State? Sometimes you have to ask the right question to get any real information.

Guest aosnow

the immigration liason in feinstein's office is a russian immigrant and she still doesnt give a hoot! California's senators are locks for re-election so they just don't care.

Thanks, all, for your input and thoughts.

Don and CR1:

I completely agree with both of you. I'm not actually a huge fan of any of my elected reps. (Here's a bit of irony: The Feinstein assistant who wrote and telephoned me is a Russian immigrant herself. You'd think she would have a bit more empathy and motivation, but my impression was that she couldn't wait to get me off the phone.)

My take on this is that it's the luck of the draw. IF your elected rep is motivated, and IF there's a lucky connection from his/her office to the right someone in Washington, things can be resolved rather quickly. But if those conditions don't exist, you're SOL.

David:

I've pondered hiring a lawyer, but I honestly don't think that would do any good unless the lawyer met both of those conditions above, i.e. motivated AND connected. A friend of mine has a brother who is going through a K-1 process. The brother, in New York, had some delays and had his lawyer contact Senator (I'm not running for president) Hilary's office. Hilary got on it and resolved things in days. Their interview is scheduled for this week! The lawyer, it turned out, had connections with Hilary's campaign.

ed and ying:

I think you're right that the CA reps are pretty overloaded. After all, CA is bigger in many regards than most countries.

Also, you ask a fair question about "cards on the table". The answer is "yes". I know my SO very well, I know her whole family, have met them, been to their homes, etc. My SO's father was a provincial official in Hunan province, but he is long since retired. My SO is not and has never been a CP member, doesn't work in a sensitive industry, etc. She was in the army when she was 16, as a nurse's aide. All of that information is in our paperwork.

I think my best strategy now is to aim a little higher up the food chain, write to the other senator and to my congressman. My congressman is on the Judiciary committe's subcommittee on immigration - which I doubt will make much of a difference, but I hope his office is at least a little more familiar with the process and the players. Feinstein's assistant told me outright that DOS wouldn't even tell her all the security agencies involved in the second name check. Jeez - that might just be taking national security a little too far. But then again, according to Feinstein's assistant, "we have a lot of Chinese spies." I almost howled out loud when she said that!

Sorry this isn't better news, folks, but I guess it's discussions such as this one from which we can all learn.