Chinese file names on DVDR or CDR

My wife has downloaded a bunch of files with Chinese file names and she wants to archive them on DVD. Problem is none of my software seems to recognize the Chinese file names. I am running an English language version of Win XP Home with East Asian Languages installed. We can use Chinese filenames within XP with no problem. I've tried Roxio, Nero (ver 5), Win ISO and Magic ISO and none of them can 'see' the Chinese file names. If anyone has had any luck with this, I'd appriciate any pointers. Thanks!

I wonder what would happen if you set the region and primary language as China, Chinese and open with an MS application.

Let us know if you find any possibilities other than suggested in this thread. Chinese language capabilities will be a major concern in regards to my home computer soon. :huh:

I guess I'm stupid lucky. Just this weekend I moved all of my step son's music collection from my hard drive to a CD to free up some room on the HD - maybe 90% Chinese songs. All of the music software - Media Player, Itunes, Musicmatch, etc. don't seem to have a problem recognizing the files. Although the files names are Chinese, all the extensions are alpha characters. I'm running XP, and the input locale is US.

Why don't you just change the Chinese file names to English names.  You are just doing this for storage.

I ran into an issue like this with the photography pictures on disk... and changed the names to english since that was the only way it would work... but just don't remember the specifics...

Problem is none of my software seems to recognize the Chinese file names.

The problem isn't necessarily the programs. Seems it is the way that Windows passes the filenames to the programs.

This is how I got it to work on XP Pro:

Control Panel -> Regional and Language Options. Select the Advanced tab. There is an option for Language for non-Unicode programs. Select Chinese (PRC) and click apply.

Follow the instructions, including the reboot if required.

After that change I can drag and drop Chinese named files into Nero 6 and other programs.

After you restart, fire up Nero and make a new CD. On the ISO tab, select either ISO 9660 + Joliet or ISO 9660:1999. If you have ISO 9660 + Joliet selected, there is an option for Character set (ISO). This option must be set to Multibyte.

NOTE: This change does change some of the fonts that are used in some programs. I noticed the difference, but it is an acceptable change.

Mark

Mark D,

Thank you very much for your advice. I was able to get a little further by changing my settings as you suggest. I can create an ISO file now that retains the Chinese filenames. I'm still not able to see the Chinese file names after I burn it. I found my version of Nero only works with the drive it was bundled with (an older CDR drive) so I've tried Roxio and DVD Decrypter, but the DVD loses the file names when it is burned. I'm going to keep trying because I think I'm close now. Thanks again!