Filling out I-130 and g325a

1. Thanks for all the responses that help get me rolling

2. I'm now filling out the I-130

3. Question #18 on the I-130 ,ask me to give an address where my wife and I will live after we enter the US. The problem is I've been in China since 3-2004 and i just extended my work contract to reside in china untill 7- 2006 To make a long story short, I don't really know where I'll live. Can I give them my address in China? Help.

4. Finally . I was told since I'm filling for my wife while in China I should fillout a CR1 and not a K3, do I file this along with the I-130.

My background info in short:

1,. I'm a US citizen that has been working in China since 3-2004

2. Maried a Chinese citizen 2-2005

3. I'm in the process of trying to get her a visa.

4. I was told to start with the I-130, G325a, and finally the CR1 & not the K3?

5. Do I file all these forms at the same time, or is there an order to the filling

5. After i fill out the proper forms I was told to DSF with the a US embassy in China.Is this correct

I HOPE I"M ON THE RIGHT TRACK?

P.S. Has anyone been in a simular situation? And what kind of time frame am i looking at before my wife can get her Visa. Were not in a huge rush, just curious.

Thank you

hi Dean,

welcome to CFL. I can't help you with the address maybe someone else doing a DCF (direct consular filing) can. The visa terms are confusing. When you file the 130 then you are filing for a CR1 (conditional residency). the 130 is sometimes called K3, but many of us have also filed a 129F after the 130 NOA1. there is plenty of help here, check out the links and resources section. The timeline for DCF is a lot less than going through the process here in the states. You can look at some of the other members timelines. Good Luck! BTW where in China are you. I will be going back to Shangrao Jiangxi to be with my wife the first week of aug.

Mark :lol:

Welcome to CFL. I did neither K-3 (I-129F) nor CR-1/IR-1 (I-130).

Based on what I've read here, it sounds like your best best is to skip the K-3 and proceed with just the I-130. Since it sounds like you are currently residing in China (presumably with the appropriate visa), you should be able to file the I-130 directly with the US consulate in Guangzhou. This is generally considered the faster way to obtain an immigrant visa for your wife. The visa will be either a CR-1 if married less than 2 years or an IR-1 if married longer.

I think you're right in skipping the K-3. Your I-130 filed direcly with the consulate will most likely get processed faster.

As to your specific question about a US address, I guess you could show a permanent address for a relative such as a parent. Since Question #18 is only asking where you intend to live, I don't thinks it locking you into something that can't be changed if you need to.

Sorry if this sounds cruel to those who have been waiting for a visa for a long time, but we actually got our visa earlier than we expected/wanted. We filed directly at the consulate in guangzhou (you need to file at your nearest us consulate/embassy). From initial filing to visa in hand was about 6 months. I was planning on working in China until 2006, but now that my wife has her visa, we found that we need to go to the US sooner. After you get the visa, you have 6 months to go to the US. Then (correct me if I'm wrong) it is unadvisable to stay out of the US for longer than 6 months (risks being denied re-entry if they think you are permanently residing outside of the US). I have heard of people postponing their interview after they have been scheduled an interview, but we didn't want to mess with that. If you are sure you want to stay in China until next year, I would suggest not starting until about 7 or 8 months before you intend to immigrate to the US. Otherwise, you might be "forced" to leave China earlier than you had wanted.

The visa terms are confusing.  When you file the 130 then you are filing for a CR1 (conditional residency).  the 130 is sometimes called K3, but many of us have also filed a 129F after the 130 NOA1.

Just to clarify..

I-130 = CR1 / IR1

I-129F = K3

I agree with Frank.. just file I-130 , and skip K3 route (which would require filing the I-129F afterwards). The direct consular filing (DCF) will produce the fastest visa.

Just to reiterate - your best bet is definitely DCF if you have a residence permit in China. Sooo much easier and faster. If you filed it now with the consulate/embassy, you may get it in 7 or 8 months. And since your contract is up in one year and the visa is good for 6 months, you will be good to go. In addition to speed, it gives you a CR1 status, meaning you have much less paperwork later.