K-1 Guaranteed SSN

The problem is that SSA will read too much into the FAQ. For example, the FAQ says to bring "... documents showing your age, identity and lawful alien status (including your permission to work in the U.S.)". Some offices say this means a K-1 also needs work authorization (EAD). But, if you arm yourself with a copy of Policy Statement RM 00203.500 "Employment Authorization for Nonimmigrants" found at http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203...33;opendocument where it makes it clear that K-1ers don't need an EAD to get an SSN, you should be okay. Most offices will issue an SSN to a K-1er if applied for within the first 70 days or so. After that, SSA will insisit on an EAD.

trust me on this one. SSN is NOT guaranteed. My wife came on a K1. It was very important that she have a SSN in that her insurance is through the VA as is a stipend I get based on dependents. One small mistake by one of the SSA workers and 11 months later we finnaly had a SSN. Every story I read about the SSA proves that even GZ has people around with less competence than them.

good luck!

But, if you arm yourself with a copy of Policy Statement RM 00203.500 "Employment Authorization for Nonimmigrants" found at http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203...33;opendocument where it makes it clear that K-1ers don't need an EAD to get an SSN, you should be okay.  Most offices will issue an SSN to a K-1er if applied for within the first 70 days or so.  After that, SSA will insisit on an EAD.

Yeah, I can just see it now. Perhaps I should get a job with the postal service and show up at the SSA office in uniform with a silly smile on my face, or maybe I could just rent the uniform. :lol:

Figure we'll do this the first week while we await the return of the Certified Marriage certificate, probably the only honeymoon trip I'll be able to afford after another non-paid vacation to China for the interview.

We can go back the following month and get a name change at SSA. :P