Roger's famous hot wings

An awful lot of food talk around CFL today and while laupoh is whipping up our dinner I will share this recipe for hot wings. The story goes that this is the recipe used at Smitty's in Rochester, NY. It was given to me by a good friend whose brother won it in a poker game from Smitty himself. Supposedly this place is very famous for wings and ribs.

Hot Sauce-

30 oz ketchup

9 oz mustard

2 cups sugar

1/2 cup vinegar

1/3 cup crushed red pepper flakes *

1 small bottle louisiana hot sauce *

* adjust to taste

Syrup Sauce-

1/2 bottle dark Karo syrup

1 cup water * ( less for sweeter wings, more for less sweet)

Chicken wings cut into 3 sections, discard tips

Deep fry wings, dip into syrup, dip into hot sauce (multiple dippings are encouraged)

Syrup and hot sauces should be simmering.

EAT... :blink: :o

I'm sure that is great Roger but if you don't mind as suggestion. Ah I'll tell you anyway.

For most non Americans cut the sugar by 2/3. Sugar is not a major part of any other country's meal. Western style mustards are not a flavor known to Asians. You might exchange it for1 oz of Coleman's Dry Mustard which is the hot Chinese style.

I have great Chinese style (I've taught many Vietnamese friends a Vietnamese style do you hear that Robert?) Turkey if you are game for Thanksgiving. Be forwarned that Asians and Hispanics do not like American style roasted Turkey which they regard as dry and tasteless.

I never put all the sugar in Dan. This is the straight recipe as it was given to me. The amount of water in the syrup controls how sweet that is also. The thicker or thinner you make the syrup or hot sauce the more or less they adhere. Luli wants a turkey but I agree I'm not sure how she will like it. I was planning on cooking it on my grill and see how she likes that... :lol:

Rice starch is the common thickener in Chinese recipes. It works well, doesn't sweeten and adheres.

I like deboning the turkey, marinating the meat and then tieing it up to smoke in the BBQ.

Many Asian friends make the Turkey every year after I do it for them once. No they don't do it to keep me from making it again. They do it because they like it :rolleyes:

You first slide a sharp knife under the skin from the end lifting it but not breaking it. Then pierce the skin at the thigh. This lets the fat drain out to make a crispy skin. Under the skin I rub either oyster or black bean sauce mixed with garlic and chilis. I stuff it with a mix of under cooked rice, chopped vegetables and chopped Chinese sausage mixed with a little of the sauce. Roast it Breast Up covered with foil until the last 1/2 hour. It is good.

The Vietnamese style uses fish sauce.

Rice starch is the common thickener in Chinese recipes. It works well, doesn't sweeten and adheres.

I like deboning the turkey, marinating the meat and then tieing it up to smoke in the BBQ.

Many Asian friends make the Turkey every year after I do it for them once. No they don't do it to keep me from making it again. They do it because they like it  :unsure:

You first slide a sharp knife under the skin from the end lifting it but not breaking it. Then pierce the skin at the thigh. This lets the fat drain out to make a crispy skin. Under the skin I rub either oyster or black bean sauce mixed with garlic and chilis.  I stuff it with a mix of under cooked rice, chopped vegetables and chopped Chinese sausage mixed with a little of the sauce. Roast it Breast Up covered with foil until the last 1/2 hour. It is good.

This sounds good but awfully tricky. Why don't you just stop out this way with Ping and do it for us... :lol: :lol:

Many Asian friends make the Turkey every year after I do it for them once. No they don't do it to keep me from making it again. They do it because they like it  :wub:

You first slide a sharp knife under the skin from the end lifting it but not breaking it. Then pierce the skin at the thigh. This lets the fat drain out to make a crispy skin. Under the skin I rub either oyster or black bean sauce mixed with garlic and chilis.  I stuff it with a mix of under cooked rice, chopped vegetables and chopped Chinese sausage mixed with a little of the sauce. Roast it Breast Up covered with foil until the last 1/2 hour. It is good.

This sounds good but awfully tricky. Why don't you just stop out this way with Ping and do it for us... B) B)

Really it isn't so difficult. But maybe I should show you how the first time.

I boil it first, to half cooked. Then dip in the sauce mixture and coat with flour before deep fry. I use sesame seeds or ginger with slight amount of hot pepper and a tablespoon of honey in soy sauce.

Turkey becomes everybody's favorite during Thanksgiving because the price is so cheap at that time. Five bucks for a 16- to 20- pounder is tough to beat.