Hi all, 4 more days and I will meet my babe in NY, it's a great feeling indeed. I'm a bit confused now with Form I-94, I thought it was the card given to us in the airplane where we answer some questions concerning the items that we have bought abroad and their value. In the other hand I've read many times here that the visa holder should make sure to get the I-94 back from the immigation officer at the POE, and now I entered a site where it explains that it's a white card where the officer will write down the maximum stay allowed. I appreciate any help I can get.

http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1k2visa-enter.html

"What happens when we get off the plane?

A..You will queue up with all the others going through Immigration. You might be directed to a waiting area until the other passengers are gone. Your sealed envelope will be opened, your passport will be stamped, you will have the I-94 form (the white I-94) put in it, you might get a 90 day work authorization or EAD Employment Authorization Document (see note). In early 2001, it was becoming increasingly uncommon to obtain any work authorization at a POE. As of Dec 2003 the only airport that still (and rarely) issues Work stamps is JFK. "

http://www.foreignborn.com/visas_imm/enter...ing-arrival.htm

I-94 arrival (top) and departure (bottom) of two part tear apart card. Single page THIN cardboard type card about 4-1/4" x 11". Generally these are passed and filled out on the return flights to the US by the non citizens onboard. Often the airlines play a tape on how to fill it out prior to landing. Ring any bells? I have both a Chinese and English version here but NO scanner.

Guest Gene

On the plane you get two forms one is a customs declaration form and the other is the I-94.

You need to fill out both.

The I-94 is given to the immigration officer along with the sealed package. The I-94 is then stappled in your passport. My wife's passport and I-94 stub are stamped "admited" and dated and type of visa(K-3). On the back of her I-94 is her "A" number.

The customs declaration form is given to the customs officer after you have retreived your baggage and they decide whether to look inside or wave you through.

What info should he write on the I-94? What items should he include in the customs declaration form?

For the I-94: Just basic stuff on the front side of the card (backsides quite appropriately (pun intended) is for Gov. use only. As Gene has said the A file number is listed on it- block #20 backsides).

Name, birthdate, citizenship, passport #, city where visa was issued, city where he boarded, airline and flight #, address while in US.

One more question: I went over the declaration form and it states that you should declare all items brought to the USA and then this:

"The U.S. Customs officer will determine duty. Duty will be assessed at the current rate on the first $1,000 above the exemption." Please correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it, if he declares that he is bringing $1,500, then duty will be imposed to $1000? How much will he have to pay for this then? It does not make any sense to me as these are all used articles.

Guest Gene

Someone mentioned, in another thread, that a new immigrant is allowed more than just someone who is traveling back from another country, maybe they will chime in with that info here.

Duty would only be paid on amounts exceeding the limit. As you said, most items are used and, therefore, only have swap meet value. Make sure he values used articles at the resale value, not the original purchase price.

Even so, for "new" in the box items, you must spend more than 8.2 times the US dollar limit, or >$8,000 rmb. Seems unlikely; don't worry too much about this unless there are expensive pieces of jewelery or art or electronics.