Today we finished preparing the AOS package for sumission. Wrote the checks.. OUCH! Cover letter, I-485, I-864, I-765.... Id10T. I am now thoroughly confused. It's put together neatly, coherently, and creates the illusion that we are informed about these procedures. Ha. Little do they know.

We made the decision to skip the I-131 with the plan that we will return to China shortly after recieving a green card. I look forward to relaxing a bit.

Tomorrow I will make copies of everything and head over to the post office and request a delivery reciept.

Wish us luck.

You must remember that the initial green card is conditional and Advance Parole is required to re-enter the US prior to the conditional status being removed, approx. 2 years from the date on the conditional green card.

Are you positive you would not be returning to China before then?

Guest Gene
You must remember that the initial green card is conditional and Advance Parole is required to re-enter the US prior to the conditional status being removed, approx. 2 years from the date on the conditional green card.

:huh: Huh?? :blink: :huh:

You don't need AP with a CR-1 or an IR-1

For the K-1 visa the first AOS is for a conditional green card and re-entry to the US can be refused without Advanced Parole. At 1yr 9mo from the date on the conditional card you apply to have conditional status removed and Advanced Parole is no longer needed once the conditional status is removed.

One of the joys of the K-1 visa.

Guest Gene

We have a K-3 so I do not proclaim to be an expert, but a Conditional Green card( CR-1) from any kind of visa does not need AP for travel. Now a K-1 visa will need an AP while the AOS is processing to get the Conditional Green Card, but after the interveiw and adjustment of status has been approved and the Conditional green card is recieved ,AP is not needed

Sheesh, thanks for scaring me. We just had our AOS interview (k1), and the official said we could travel anywhere we want now, no AP. I just called BCIS to confirm this, no need for AP once you pass the AOS interview.

We had a trip to Canada planned for next week, so this really got me worried....

Yeah, but once you get that stamp, there's no need for AP. Conditional or not. The original reply made it seem like conditional status green card holders couldn't leave the country without AP. I've now had 2 CIS officials tell me that's not true. Anyway I guess I'll find out next week.

I question whether AP is needed once LPR (green card) status is obtained, conditional or otherwise. Seems to me that AP is not required once the green card or I-551 stamp is secured.

I question whether AP is needed once LPR (green card) status is obtained, conditional or otherwise. Seems to me that AP is not required once the green card or I-551 stamp is secured.

Yes, Once you have conditional green card, you don't need AP. My wife is in China now with conditional green card.