ability to travel outside of US and back

I am not sure what the term is, but I was wondering how long it typically takes to get the paper work done, so that we can freely travel outside the country and back again?

After my fiancee arrives here, we plan to marry, and then we would like to go back with my mother so that she can also meet her parents. But I am not sure from the information I have found so far, if this typically takes a matter of weeks or months or years?

What should we expect or plan for?

Thanks,

WuLongTea

Once she gets her green card she can travel freely. That takes a bit of time depending on where you live. You can apply for AP (advanced parole) when you file for AOS (adjustment of status) AP will allow travel before the green card. It also depends on where you live but most report being granted AP in around two months.

One thing to be aware of is AP will only get you out of and into the USA. It will not allow you to travel to Canada for instance with out a visa from there. A green card will. A friend of mines wife went back to China to visit on AP and coming back she booked a non refundable ticket with a layover in Vancouver BC. They wouldn't let her board the plane without a transit visa.She ended up having to buy another ticket without a stop in Canada.

One thing to be aware of is AP will only get you out of and into the USA.  It will not allow you to travel to Canada for instance with out a visa from there. A green card will. A friend of mines wife went back to China to visit on AP and coming back she booked a non refundable ticket with a layover in Vancouver BC.  They wouldn't let her board the plane without a transit visa.She ended up having to buy another ticket without a stop in Canada.

Actually, you don't need an AP to leave US. You only need AP if you want to return.

• 1 month later...

I'm trying to figure out if it's really worthwhile to apply for advance parole now, fee is $165 and as I see it, my husband will be able to travel once he gets the green card soon after he gets the AOS interview. My only concern at this point is that his parents get sick and he would not be able to travel at the time. I would greatly appreciate your help in the following:

1-) Any idea on the processing times for green card at the different USCIS offices?

2-) Form I-131 Part 3:

Date of Intended Departure, Expected Length of Trip????

I just want to have the authorization to travel in case of an emergency, so what should I write here?

:o

One thing to be aware of is AP will only get you out of and into the USA.  It will not allow you to travel to Canada for instance with out a visa from there. A green card will. A friend of mines wife went back to China to visit on AP and coming back she booked a non refundable ticket with a layover in Vancouver BC.  They wouldn't let her board the plane without a transit visa.She ended up having to buy another ticket without a stop in Canada.

Thats a bummer - most visiters here always want to go to Niagara Falls, Ont. US side is a dump