AOS Interview

Since I read accounts on CFL and other personal sites I found goggling "AOS Interview" of others being asked all the questions from the AOS application, I told Helen prior to the interview that the question of prostitution might come up. Before the interview she said it was an absurd question and that she would get very upset at the IO if they asked her something like that. After a few discussions over a period of a few weeks, Helen finally understood that the IO wasn't belittling her. I sort of understand why they would ask such a question in person to the applicant, but I don't totally understand it. I did ask Helen how she felt about that question after the interview, and Helen said it was stupid that's why she laughed at the IO. Helen in no way resembles a prostitute, and if that was the insinuation, I'd be the first to put my fist in that person's face man or woman.

As far as the CIA background check. I did some research on the web, and there was a time a few years ago when people were being told after they passed the AOS interview that they would have to come back again after the CIA check was done to receive the stamp and the temp. green card. I read one person's account on a personal timeline/site that her husband was told to do the same. Right now, I guess we'll wait for a month before I start writing emails to the address they gave us. And, when I have the time, I'm scheduling a walk-in on infopass.

Right now my beef is with the SS. They still haven't given us the name change for Helen's SS card. Without the name change, we can't get a DL or a state ID in her married name. All DL and state ID are checked against the SS databank to make sure undocumented aliens aren't getting DL or ID.

I went to the SS office the other day with the marriage certificate and the original card (maiden name). I spoke to the same person who didn't really help us the first time we applied for the name change. This time I wasn't in the mood for the attitude she gave us the last time. She told me that they didn't have the approval of status from INS. I told her it's already been five weeks and the letter she gave us the last time told us it would be four weeks. She told me there wasn't anything she could do, and that it was INS fault not her's. I told her that we just came from an INS interview and they told us all SS needed was the marriage certificate and the original card(maiden name). She snapped back at me, "They can't tell us how to do our job. Now our conversation is over. Have a nice day."

That is when I got angry, but I think I did a good job of holding it in. I admit I raised my voice to her, and everyone in that office that day could vouch for that, but I never yelled at her. I told her that I wanted a phone number of the INS office they're communicating with or an address so I could figure what the hell was going on, since I just came from an INS office and was told wedding certificate and original card is all I needed to change the name. She tried to cut me off, but I kept talking over her. The whole office got quiet, you could hear a pin drop. I believe I have a good temper, but this really pissed me off when she told me that she couldn't give me the information because the INS office won't talk to me. I never swore at her, but I let her know how they (SSA) were inconveniencing me. I let her know how frustrated I was and how upset I was that they couldn't do something as simple as a name change since I have the same documents I had when we got the original card, and now we have a marriage certificate. She then told me that my wife wasn't an american citizen and that new regulations within their department state that they must get status approval from INS each and every time an non-citizen applies for any change to the SSN.

I was very frustrated and I knew she was scared, who wouldn't be, so I just got up and left. That poor security guy was just as scared as she was. At least he knew not to stand directly behind me. I had my eye on him anyway, because I knew my actions were causing some concern. I'm pretty sure they had every camera in the place focused on me. I shouldn't have lost my temper like that. To my credit, I didn't use any profanity while discussing my frustration at how I was being assisted. I really didn't accomplish much, accept making Helen feel uncomfortable and making everyone in the office be quiet. I'll go back in a week and ask to speak to the supervisor.

The name change didn't go as smoothly as I thought it would. The original SSN application in Helen's maiden name was very easy. We just showed them Helen's visa, and they took a copy of the I-94 and visa page. We got the SS card in Helen's maiden name in one week.

As far as the AOS interview, we hand delivered on 31Mar05 the last day hand deliveries were taken. We lucked out and got an Infopass for that day. Still not sure why they didn't get the CIA check check back before our interview. The IO said it takes about 4 months from time of filing, and our interview was six weeks after the filing. I'll check up on them in a month. I'm contemplating contacting the senator's office again. They weren't much help the last time, but maybe they'll be this time.

Man, I think you kept your cool pretty good. Sometimes it helps to raise your voice so it is quite apparhent to all around, you are upset and not receiving good customer service. The problem is though this works at stores and other paid services type places, it generally does not seem to phase many government workers. They seem to get more defensive and think it shows everyone around they are dealing with someone who does not understand much. The key is to turn this attitude around. The way I have found to do this is simply tell them you have read their rules and understand the process. The tricky part is making them think in non-acqusitory manner that you believe that they are either simply too stupid or lazy to perform their job and need to report them to their supervisor. Once they think this, then they seem to fear what might come next. Then you see a change in their attidtude and seems helps to start them doing research to see if there is anything they can do for you. Sometimes this is as simple as asking them directly for the name of their supervisor.

I am glad we waited until after the marriage to apply for her SSN. We got married within twelve days, applied for her SSN. She has a card in her married name. No hassle from the SSN office at all.

Good luck with the name change. Have you tried a different office, is that an option? Some times skirting the problem by making sure you deal with someone else is the best way to handle the problem.