Showing EFFORT in the relationship

Its' a fact that some people just can't go mutiple visits to their SO in China due to work/financial issues.

I think that this sometimes puts some worry into the petitioner's who cannot travel, that they're at risk of some sort.

---

One item that I found in my FAQ research, was the idea of EFFORT.. that a fraud profile will normally not have an enormous amount of effort shown by one party or both.

And we all seem to agree, that VOs are looking for evidence of a 'continuing' relationship since the initial submission...

So, with that in mind, I thought we should share some ideas on what are some good EFFORT ideas.

I'll share one that someone from CLF recently wrote in another post:

1) Writing a personal letter(s) to your SO carries some weight....

Clearly writing a letter will be more effort shown than sitting at your computer chatting...

ok. other ideas?

Guangzhou should be blow away by our effort, then. I bet my last phone bill had between 60 and 90 calls to my wife's number. We talk a lot of different times, but usually not for too long at one time -- maybe 10 minutes or less.

And we all seem to agree, that VOs are looking for evidence of a 'continuing' relationship since the initial submission...

I agree but wonder if quality is preferable to quantity. While Jingwen and I had literally thousands of archived chats while we were waiting, I think some of the more important "continuing relationship" correspondence might have been those letters, archives, and e-mails where we discussed issues like working in the US, her dad's health, schooling for the children, how to furnish the house after her arrival, etc.

I doubt if the VO would often look for these types of "quality" correspondence, but I would certainly view them as more indicative of a continuing relationship than say 1,000 e-mails that evidenced only that the parties have been in contact with one another.

I agree but wonder if quality is preferable to quantity. While Jingwen and I had literally thousands of archived chats while we were waiting, I think some of the more important "continuing relationship" correspondence might have been those letters, archives, and e-mails where we discussed issues like working in the US, her dad's health, schooling for the children, how to furnish the house after her arrival, etc.

I doubt if the VO would often look for these types of "quality" correspondence, but I would certainly view them as more indicative of a continuing relationship than say 1,000 e-mails that evidenced only that the parties have been in contact with one another.

really good point...

So, if one was following the idea of keeping the documents in separate folders... would you have the "trump" docs in a special folder to offer first, if asked by the VO for some letters?

Would it be adviseable to hand a few hand written letters, particularly if you were talking about life together in the US and the plans you were making?

As opposed to handing chats where an exchange is going on, which shows communication...

Guest Gene

I think that Don's sugestion a number of times, email Guangzhou frequently, not to much to iritate them but enough to show your active in the process. If possible have your SO email also.

I think that Don's sugestion a number of times, email Guangzhou frequently, not to much to iritate them but enough to show your active in the process. If possible have your SO email also.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. There is no doubt in my mind that my taking an active role in Jingwen's visa application through my e-mails, etc. with GZ was known to the VO and certainly showed my commitment.

really good point...

So, if one was following the idea of keeping the documents in separate folders... would you have the "trump" docs in a special folder to offer first, if asked by the VO for some letters?

Would it be adviseable to hand a few hand written letters, particularly if you were talking about life together in the US and the plans you were making?

As opposed to handing chats where an exchange is going on, which shows communication...

Hadn't really thought about segregating the correspondence, but I certainly see some benefit in beinh able to focus the VO's attention on the "trump" docs.

blsqueaky had mentioned to me when we discussed the FAQ.. that CFL members should stop at a US Embassy on ANY trip they take to China.. and this gets them in the computer system as well.

I heard from others that going to the American Citizens hour has you sign in.. so this should be another sign of you showing some involvement in the visa process...

Guest blsqueaky
that CFL members should stop at a US Embassy  on ANY trip they take to China.. and this gets them in the computer system as well.

Here is the link to register yourself online, prior to the trip.. you CANNOT do it after or during the trip.

https://travelregistration.state.gov/ibrs.

Whoa here, yes you can do during your trip there, if you are anywhere that there is a American consulate, you just go into American servcies bureau, and register, and tell them where you are staying. It only takes a few minutes, but yes, it is then in there puter that you are there.

Yes, there are cities and towns that you will visit that there is no Consulate, and yes, register on line, but if you are whree there is a Consulate, go in person, and let them see you.

Along time ago I had a post regarding this, and I will see if i can find again, and bring back to the front

that CFL members should stop at a US Embassy  on ANY trip they take to China.. and this gets them in the computer system as well.

Here is the link to register yourself online, prior to the trip.. you CANNOT do it after or during the trip.

Whoa here, yes you can do during your trip there, if you are anywhere that there is a American consulate, you just go into American servcies bureau, and register, and tell them where you are staying. It only takes a few minutes, but yes, it is then in there puter that you are there.

Yes, there are cities and towns that you will visit that there is no Consulate, and yes, register on line, but if you are whree there is a Consulate, go in person, and let them see you.

Along time ago I had a post regarding this, and I will see if i can find again, and bring back to the front

I meant, you can only do the ONLINE registration prior to the trip... The webpage will not accept a past date for travel. Otherwise visit the consulate.

Guest blsqueaky

I meant, you can only do the ONLINE registration prior to the trip... The webpage will not accept a past date for travel. Otherwise visit the consulate.

Dave, thanks for clearing that up. We would hate to give out the wrong info here :o :D :o :D

I agree with everything everyone else said but the problem with some of the suggestions on showing effort is getting the VO to actually look at it. Multiple trips to China is probably your best bet. When my wife got her blue slip we had tons of evidence of relationship but the VO refused to look at any of it. Her entire interview was about 2 minutes long. Another arguement that the decision is made before hand without all the evidence presented.