Where To Go In China

Guest jimmac2222

Guest jimmac2222

Hi CFL, a question please. I and my SO will be in GUILIN on the

6 May. From here where would you head for, for sight seeing:

QingDao? BeiHai? LiJiang? Kunming or Dali?. Whats your favourite?

We have in the back of our minds been thinking of a retirement

spot, not too hot and not too cold. Jim and Angela (XiaoYing)

When I visited YangZixuan on my first trip, we went through Kunming, Dali, and Lijiang.

It was Oct then, and as you get into the higher elevations it got colder !!

But, Zixuan seemed to know a lot about the area and has also mentioned wanting to live there. If XiaoYing wants to talk to another chinese lady, you can pm me and I'll give you her cell...

Zixuan lives in Baoding (near beijing) , so her knowledge must come mostly from reading a lot (which I know she does do).. She has a tour guide certification, although never actually used it. It will be good to see other replies who can help you here...

The best thing I think is to see as much as you can. China is a country of very distinct regions. Travel to see what interests you. I have been to the North and Cental regions but not the West or South. The Chiangjiang Cruise is very nice. The two cities at both ends, Chongqing and Yichang are beautiful and very different.

Check out places you are interested in at http://www.virtualtourism.com they have lots of info from travelers and residents. I have even had dinners with people I met from the site.

Enjoy!

Hi CFL, a question please. I and my SO will be in GUILIN on the

6 May. From here where would you head for, for sight seeing:

QingDao? BeiHai? LiJiang? Kunming or Dali?. Whats your favourite?

We have in the back of our minds been thinking of a retirement

spot, not too hot and not too cold. Jim and Angela (XiaoYing)

It all depends on how much time you have and what kind of vacation you want.

If you don't mind spending lots of time on the way you could join a tour and go to Yunnan. Usually the Yunnan package includes Kunming, Dali, Lijiang, and even Shangri-la. According to the comments from ppl who have been to Yunnan, including my parents, it's a worth visiting place, especially Lijiang.

If you just want to have a relaxing vacation together, you can arrange the trip by yourself. In this case you will have to spend a lot of time in the planning and booking.

If you like beach tour, Sanya would be a good choice. It's a paradise for vacationers. Qingdao is nice too, but it's a bit far from Guilin. It's a good place for living, but not sure if it's a great place for vacation.

There are also many nice places in Guangxi Province, such as the Detian waterfall, yangshuo. You can also have easy access to Vietnam.

Guest lilac6451

As for sightseeing,I think Zhangjiajie is the best place. It has the most beautiful natural scenery, beyong description.Plus it is not far from where you are staying.You can take a plane, about 40 mintues distance.

As for retirement spot,I think Daling is good, the temperature is mild all year round, neither too hot in summer nor too cold in winter.But the drawbacks there are as follows: the house will be very expensive;you dont get much pay working there,like a 1000yuan a month for ordinary job.

For retirement I think Beihai or Xiamen would be good if you like a warmer climate. I don't know about Beihai but Xiamen now has a small but growing overseas retirement community. Some Americans and Canadians that retired there in the 90's have large oceanfront homes. Real estate prices have been rising rapidly but there are many beautiful new ocean front apartments.

If you are going to work at all then Xiamen would probably be better than Beihai. I think you'd have a lot more options.

I have heard a lot of great things about Qingdao but haven't been there. I think it would be too cold to live there, but I can't stand the cold.