Quan and I decided we would file EAD so that hopefully we can get her a SSN number this summer. So we go to a photo shop to get the pictures taken. I show the requirements for the photo (a 3/4 shot of the right side of the face showing the ear) to the clerk and he tells me that green card photos don't use the 3/4 format photo. I explain that this is NOT the application for a green card, that it is an employment authorization application and show him the form and instructions. "That's wrong!", he says and turns and walks away from us. Needless to say, my wife got cold feet about doing the photo after his display, so we left without it. It's bad enough that the flunkies at SSA are immigration experts, but now the damn clerk at the photo store is one too.

<_<

Anyway, a quick check of the government web site instructions still lists the 3/4 style photo as the requirement for EAD.

hey idid my own photo using my digital camera and photo printer. There is a special paper (kodak something or other) you are supposed to use so that the foto doesn't fade over time, but EAD is short term until your green card approval so no biggie in my mind.

Even if you don't have professional quality photography equipment with appropriate lighting, a lot of photo software programs will allow you to eliminate any shadowing you might have and print out the correct size photo. Or you can pay someone the $10 or $15 it costs and have them do it. Course, they need to be willing!

g'luck

CIS took my wife's photo including a digital print of the right index finger at the appointment we set up.

It took 90 days to get the EAD card after the appointment.

You will get a notice to make an appointment at the ASC (Application Service Center). The ASC will take the photos and fingerprints (Boston location). So don't waste money on getting the EAD photos.

You will get a notice to make an appointment at the ASC (Application Service Center).  The ASC will take the photos and fingerprints (Boston location).  So don't waste money on getting the EAD photos.

Thanks for the replies and especially the link to the PDF showing the elimination of 3/4. I wish they would update all of the individual instruction forms instead of expecting people to know that the information was updated and published in another document.

I have already made the appt for ASC. It is next month in Boston. That appt was made after I received the NOA for the I-485 AOS filing. Can I just send in the EAD application w/o any photos? I'm afraid they'll send it right back with a notice that the photos are missing...

You will get a notice to make an appointment at the ASC (Application Service Center).  The ASC will take the photos and fingerprints (Boston location).  So don't waste money on getting the EAD photos.

Thanks for the replies and especially the link to the PDF showing the elimination of 3/4. I wish they would update all of the individual instruction forms instead of expecting people to know that the information was updated and published in another document.

In regards to form, but was a different issue, I saw in a newsgroup where they said if they have thousands of forms left over from a previous printing, they'll still pass them out to get rid of them...

And that's why CFL exists...

I have already made the appt for ASC. It is next month in Boston. That appt was made after I received the NOA for the I-485 AOS filing. Can I just send in the EAD application w/o any photos? I'm afraid they'll send it right back with a notice that the photos are missing...

To be safe, send in the photos anyway.

I wish they would update all of the individual instruction forms instead of expecting people to know that the information was updated and published in another document.

No shit. But, our DesMoines office did not care. But, the only way you would know...if you did not have internet access...was to read a very small note on thier bulletin board there in the office. At the very least...you would think instead of updating the forms...thier internet guru could at least put a link to this new spec next to each one of the downloads that asks for pics. Oh well...that means someone in our govt would have to do some real work. :P