Birth Certificate

The short version of the story is that my fiancee went to the city where she is registered and tried to get her birth certificate. She tried multiple ways, calling in favors from her old employer and more. The place holding the records would not give it to her. They said that she hadn't lived there for a year so it wasn't their problem.

She got so frustrated and couldn't stay there any longer so she told them to transfer her registration back to her parent's home town.

Now the paperwork has move to her parent's town. She has to go there after the holiday and try and get her birth certificate there. She will try her best, but if the paperwork doesn't transfer quick enough or she runs into another wall she may not get the birth certificate in time for the interview (May 16).

Do they ask to see her birth certificate at the interview? It would be a pain, but getting a blue slip for that and then going back to GZ after she got the birth certificate would be possible. We know that she needs the certificate before she comes here. I'm just curious about the interview.

Thanks

Yes, this is what happend for my SO at the exam. Not only did they insist on taking the birth certificate, they ripped it apart to remove the notorial stamp and signature page saying it was a true copy/translation. Stated it was not needed. My fiance was worried, but I had told her to bring the extra copies for me to bring back, so we had them at the inteview as well. No comment was made about this at the interview. No additional copy was requested.

You should definitely get the birth certificate.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.usembassy-china.org.cn/guangzho...u/iv/kvfaq.html

What documents should I bring to the visa interview?

The applicant should bring the following original documents:

* Forms in the appointment packet

* Chinese passport

* Application fee receipt

* Four visa photos attached to forms DS-156

* Notarial birth certificate

* Notarial marital status certificate. If divorced before, previous divorce certificates for each marriage are required. If any child from previous marriage will also apply for visa, a divorce decree showing the child's custody is needed.

* Notarial police certificates are required from each visa applicant aged 16 or over issued by his/her local municipal notary office where he/she has resided for at least six months since attaining the age of sixteen. Police certificates are also required from all other countries where the applicant has resided for at least one year.

* Medical report

* Affidavit of Support - I-134 and a copy of the most recent year tax returns from the petitioner.

* Relationship evidence, such as correspondence and photos taken together to prove the claimed relationship to the petitioner

*Translations: Police certificates from other countries not in English, or in the official language of the country must be accompanied by certified English translations. Translations must be certified by a competent translator and sworn to before a notary public.

MarkD, I can commiserate with you. The birth certificate was our biggest obstacle (and it may still be, yet).

I've got a similar question: we have a birth certificate, but it's not perfect (that story is way to long and confusing to expound upon here). I wonder if they will ever ask to see that original document, or is the notorized/translated booklet all they look at?