It has been about 14 months now since I returned to the US because of pregnancy complications. I've been so discouraged lately but I know this process is much harder on my husband since he can't see his son. I just recieved a notorized permission form for our son to get a passport and I'm going to apply for one today. I've been wanting to visit for a long time but the trip seems so difficult with a baby and I never thought it could take this long. There are only two infant bassinets per flight so our options are really limited. I'll be flying in June from Seattle to Tokyo then on to Hong Kong with my 9 month old. I am really dreading the flight but we're still months away and I don't want my husband to miss out entirely on our sons first year.

Lynne - I think you'll be fine. That's unimaginable to be separated like that. I'm so grateful we didn't have to be.

My parents moved to Nepal when my bro was 7 months. He was already walking and provided the flight attendants with plenty of entertainment, which helped my parents.

The main thing is your family is together for a while - you will both manage the flight!

Lynne,

I think its wonderful that you will soon be reunited! And I'll bet your husband is beside himself at the prospect of meeting his son~!

I would suggest two things: First, having traveled with very young children between Asia and the US, (one with significant health problems) ... Expect support from the flight attendants ---- after all, that is why they are there, and my experience is they consistantly come through for the kids..

Secondly, I would strongly urge you to fly from Portland (PDX) to Tokyo on the daily NWA flight ----- in my experience, it is never fully booked, and is a brand new, very comfortable plane... Your chances of getting the special services (and additional attention) you require are much greater, and of course, it is just a short commuter plane hop from Seattle... (it may even be cheaper than Seattle, if booked directly with NWA )

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Thanks so much for your advice. I looked into NWA but it is over $1100 from Portland to Hong Kong. I've booked tickets from Seattle with United, $900 for my ticket and 10% of that for the baby. It was the best I could find for June. I really wanted to drive across the border and take a direct flight on Cathay Pacific or Air Canada but their fares are really expesive right now. I've never flown United to Hong Kong before, I hope the flight attendants will be helpfull. Even if the flight is difficult I know it will be worth it. I'm really looking forward to the moment my husband can finally hold our baby!

-Lynne

Guest Long_strider

I just did a search on NWA. Seattle to Hong Kong $691.53 round trip. Not sure what days you want. I used May 3 leaving and returning on May 10. Try some variations in travel days. The rates do jump up in June to about $925.00

Lynne,

There are many expedited passport services out there with only a few days turn - around.. (sorry I don't know one ----- maybe other Candle members do??? --- of course, you can Google it also..)

They cost more, but I'm sure not as much as the difference Long-Strider just found it ticket savings.....